Advice on getting someone's live rock

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
I was just looking through craigslist, and saw some people selling their live tanks from their established tanks. I was considering buying from them, but if I do, what precautions should I take? Do I need to quarantine them like you do fish? Or should it be ok to just add them? (I only have crabs and snails and lrs). I wasn't sure if an lr taken from a tank that might have had sick fish could make my tank's water bad, whether I have fish in it or not.

Oh good LOL I hope I didn't look odd asking that particular question, since it's a ROCK. I just wasn't sure if lrs can carry bad stuff.

Oh good LOL I hope I didn't look odd asking that particular question, since it's a ROCK. I just wasn't sure if lrs can carry bad stuff.

Welll DUUU:mrgreen:
You aint read about my mantis farm have you?
You can get some really bad stuff on live rock.But since what your getting is from established tanks,the stuff like mantis shrimp and aiptasias should already be taken out of the picture.

IMO that is the best way to buy live rock, cheaper established and USUALLY most problem stuff it taken care off. Just keep looking at it and you will be able to tell soon, you might have to blast some aiptasia or majano anenomes but thats no big deal.

+1 Reeffreak. I'd go a step further -- don't just ask if the rock has ever been copper treated. Bring a test along with you and test it yourself. People lie.

Ok I'm doing this too, so I should test for copper?

So what imparticular makes a good LR? I have a choice out of which ones I pick, so what should I look for?

Look for the size and shape you want. The lighter and more poruse the better. Look for aptesia too. If it has a lot leave it be the stuff sucks to get rid of.

Dont forget to sniff it.Good LR will have a fresh smell.If it smells like bad,either leave it,or recure it in a seperate container before you add it to your tank.

I just read a post about the flatworm problem someone had...how can I check for these without killing the stuff on the lr? I take it scrubbing an established lr is not suggested?

If they are not shipping you the rock in water or it gets real cold or youi leave it out of the water for a time then its not live rock --its dead rock. And then ask if if you paid for LR or dead rock.

You can see flatworms on the rock.You just have to look close because they are so small.
And scrubbing is actually a good way to clean up established live rock.Especially if your having an algae outbreak.

I got most of my rock from established tanks.
It was cheap and I was able to pick and choose from completely different batches.
I was picky and looked for interesting pieces with lots of nooks and crannies and shapes/sizes that I felt best fit my tank.
A lot of it already had corraline on it and my tank never really had much of a cycle.
I also got a few lbs of live sand from an established tank which helped as well.

The LRs I was looking to get from someone is on craigslist, so it's local and I would just pick it up. I guess a-scrubbing I will go :)

I have been told that live rock needs to be changed,that it dies off---I am getting some live rock and sand from my brothere who is going back to fresh---it is only three years old---(well that is how long he has had it-I know its waayyy older than that)Is there any truth to this?Also biffertwine---I did get that octopus skimmer but it aint skimming a whole lot yet--3 weeks and no scuz in the top scuz bucket

Live rock does not need to be changed out. The older it is, the better (the more creatures it'll have living on it). You only need to add rock to your tank once, then you're set.

Skimmers usually take a couple weeks to break in. They don't work right away. Give it time and your skimmer will start pulling crud. Also, if you use tap water and then put in a water condition or slime coat additive, this will make your skimmer not work.

Back