Ahoy there!

Captain Greenhorn

Reefing newb
I'm bored with fresh. :^:

I've had well-intentioned people very politely tell me I'm crazy to want to try a 20 gallon reef with only freshwater experience. Is it true?

Only way to get experience is to start doing it. I started in this hobby with only freshwater experience.

Just keep an open mind, things that work for freshwater just don't work well for salt water. Research, research, research.

There is a vast knowledge base on this forum. So welcome aboard.

I mean, I could probably find the space and budget for a bigger rig, but that doesn't interest me as much for some reason. I've seen plenty of small-for-the-sake-of-small projects in my recent lurkings.. I don't know how to judge these folks' level of experience, though - is this learning to ride a bike without training wheels or learning to perform brain surgery without training wheels? Skinned knees or certain death? Sorry to be a pest.. :oops:

Last edited:
Welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. There's nothing wrong with starting out with that size tank...do whatever makes you comfortable. :)

+1 everyone and welcome!

Decide first what type of fish you want to keep, because you'll be limited in what fish you can get. I purposely upgraded to a larger tank because I wanted a tang and foxface :D

And you're not crazy...most of us kept freshwater before this. I had a 10g freshwater tank for 10 years before diving into saltwater.

Hello and Welcome!

+1 wonton. Pick a tank size based on the fish you want because not every fish will be happy in a particularly sized tank. Plus in a 20 gal you are limited to keeping 3 fish.

Back