Aiptasia ?? Remedies??

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
Very small, translucent, white tentacles protruding from LR. Each bit of it is smaller than a dime. Looks very much like anemone tentacles.

I don't see any root system under it but just some whitish plant like growth and the tentacles look like this:

bleachedaiptasia.jpg

Remedies?

UPDATE: The tentacles are more clear than white and they are like a straw --tubular and open at the end. Diagnosis still Aipstasia?

It's still aiptasia, which can come in all sorts of colors. Peppermint shrimp is the "natural" cure, but you can also try taking a needle-less syringe and zapping them with a thick salt paste or boiling water. There are also chemicals that you can zap them with that work very very well, like Joe's Juice and Aiptasia Control.

Copper Banded Butterfly (if you can borrow one, please do not buy one), Peppermint Shrimp or use a paste of calcium hydroxide (Kalkwasser). Just apply with gloved finger to aiptasia or its hole. If not killed off they reproduce at lighting speeds.

Peppermint shrimps will be a hit or miss.Just ask my 12 peppermints,they do nothing for aiptasia.IMO,I believe Copperbands and berghia nudibranches make better ''natural'' aiptasia control.There is a downside though,Copperband butterflies are difficult to keep alive and berghias will starve once all the aiptasias are eaten.Your best bet is try kalk paste,salt paste,boiling water before buying a product like Joe's Juice.

We had to use a magnifying glass to see the tentacles, so I'm probably at a good point to tackle them. We found only two clumps. Can you get Kalk paste at an LFS?

Kalkwasser is just pickling salt, which is calcium hydroxide. It comes in a very finely ground powder. Wear gloves when handling it as it has a Ph of 14 which will burn the skin if there is any moisture at all on the skin, damp hands will burn red. Just spoon out a teaspoon of powder and add a few drops of water. The Kakwasser in aquarium products is alleged to be purer. Tests have not shown that to be true very often. There is only one major manufacturer of Calcium hydroxide in this country and the same product is sold to ever purchaser. How it is handled after wards is hard to watch out for so hopefully the aquarium products who repackage it for retail sale do us right more often, because it costs a lot more through aquarium products suppliers than at a grocery store. I guess you did not need to know any of that.:bounce:

Back