Air Bubbles

JBowden

Reefin' Housewife
So I went grocery shopping and when I came home, I noticed that there were air bubbles all over everything in my tank...they are rising from the bottom of the tank and going to the surface. There are some collected on my heater and on my powerheads...

What are they from, how do I get rid of them if they're bad.

(This is the first time I've noticed this).

It's most likely the start of an algae bloom. I'd check your nitrates, I think in a few days you're goingto start seeing algae growing all over everything.

Yeah, I just checked everything... Everything is normal except Nitrates.

I also got those dumb diatoms all over the place, but one of my hermit crabs has been cleaning them all day. I've watched him go from one end of the tank to the other. He needs a trophy.

I've also seen a few little bug things floating around, I think they've been eaten though.

Anyway, so I'm going to do my water change in the morning...will that help or not? I don't like algae at all...even if it is a "good" sign or whatever.

It's totally natural in a new tank but, if you do some water changes and get your nitrates down it definitely won't be as bad or for as long a time.

That's what I thought. My husband was freaking out.

How long will the algae last? Think my snails and stuff will help with it...or should I leave the lights off for a few days? Or just let it run its course?

The algae can last for as long as your water quality will support it. The snails and hermits will definitely help with it, that's why it's good to have a variety because some snails only eat certain types of algae. If it were me (and it is, I'm battling an outbreak too) I'd just keep working on your water params and just let the algae run it's course.

I just went through my algae bloom. I had bubbles EVERYWHERE - rock, powerheads, sand, etc. I did a 20% WC every week and after about a month, the algae went away, except for the micro algae that grows on the glass (but there's really nothing you can do about that). Let it run it's course and it will go away.

I also have 2 turbo snails and they do a fantastic job at keeping my rocks clean. They don't do much for the sand though.

Back