Algae Appearing on Sand

Djturna4thakidz

Reefing newb
I just noticed algae growing on top of the sand. The only other time this has happened is when I was cycling. The tank is 7 months old now. What could be the cause of this growth? I recently added two fish. Could this have caused it? I also cleaned all the surfaces of algae, could it be growing on the sand because there is no where else in the tank to grow?
My parameters are:
Ph 8.3
Kh 8
Nitrate 0-5ppm
Phosphate 0

What can I do to arrest this growth process naturally?

What kind of algae? Do you have anything to turn your sand? I have had a similar problem in the past but I think my issue is because I dont have nearly enough nass snails to turn the sand

What color is it? Any chance of pics? Being 7 months old, I would rule out diatoms. Cyano or dinos would be my guess without pics. Manual removal like siphoning with airline tubing and starving it of nutrients is the best bet. Maybe directing a bit more flow down that way wouldn't hurt either. The algae may be consuming nutrients as fast as they are produced so you can get a false reading on the test kit. Something is obviously feeding it. Find it, eliminate it, algae gone.

Back