Algae ID Please!

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
Can someone chime in and let me know what kind of algae this is, it showed up after having to turn off the skimmer after dosing the tank with Pimafix (lesson learned...)

IMG_0105.jpg

Color is more brown than red, the stringyness goes away after lights out, and comes back when the lights come on.

I was thinking either cyano or dino's - I was hoping for the former, not the later

Dino's are the nasty stuff correct?

Yep, blackout in progress right now. I assume the corals will be okay, I have some Xenia and some spas and mushrooms. I'll cut back on feeding to every other day as well. I'm still trying to get the skimmer running after dosing pimafix in the DT

Thanks for the info

It foams to the point of overflowing after dosing the pimafix. I've been changing water out as fast ad my RO system makes it and I'm at about 40% now. I haven't tried the skimmer yet, still working on the water change and sucking the Dino's off the sand

The blackout didnt accomplish much, and its spread through most of my sandbed. I've been looking at photos of cyano and of dino's - and this really looks like both. I'm light on a CUC and need to add more. I realize that if its dino's there isnt much that will eat it and what does will most likely be poisoned. If it is cyano though, are there particular critters that are cyano eating machines?

Back