Algae id

Joeysmissy

Reefing newb
I took a close look at the crushed coral today and saw little fine strands of hair..is this hair algae? It started getting brown last week and now this..if it's hair algae, how do I get rid of it?

Sounds like good ol' new tank algae. Nothing to worry about, it's all regular.

If you can post pics that'll help ID what it truly is. Welcome to the hobby/addiction.

i.jpg

Those are diatoms. Patience grasshopper, they will go away as your tank matures ;) They aren't hurting anything, they're just ugly to look at.

cant really see it cause they are so small and fine...but what does hair algae look like? also..that fish i have on the pic seems to have something in its mouth prohibiting it from closing its mouth...it has not eaten today because it cant eat..what should i do? seems to have something on the side of the mouth that looks like a bump

I'm sorry,I don't see anything hair-like in those photos, but the stuff in the sand is diatoms. As for the fish, I also can't see very clearly in the photo, but it could be an injury or an external parasite.

So now I have one fish in a 29 gal tank..will that slow down the cycle? Should I put another chromis in there or should I wait?

yea, i personally dont like the idea of cycling a tank by putting a fish in there, as the chemistry of the water matures, and the cycle goes through its stages, its like sticking you in a closett and pumping in teargas, yea, you might survive, you might not, but one thing's for sure, your gonna be uncomfortable either way... well, thats what its like for that fish, or thats what i immagine its like anyway...

ok had my tank for a month now...havent done a water change yet..is there a way of knowing when its time to do one without the water test kit? also all that brown stuff growing on the crushed coral is still growing some hair like strands on it and now i have hair stuff growing on the glass, heater and filter

You've got to get a test kit if you don't have one. I don't think you can do this hobby successfully without a good test kit. It will take the quessing out of what's going on with your tank.

Back