Algae issue (45 day old system)

JohnnyDanger

Reefing newb
Did a water change yesterday for the first time.. I was hoping the change would get rid of some of that algae.. This is my tank today.. How do I fix this??

DSC01361.jpg
Green algae in main tank

DSC01362.jpg
Refugium red algae

Think I'm overfeeding or is this just a new system thing.. 2 baby clowns 2 baby chromis 1 cleaner shrimp 3 turbos skunk cleaner and I'm feeding about 20 brine shrimp and a drop of copapods..

are they eating all the food you put in? i would change from brine shrimp to frozen mysis. also i would only feed a couple times a week. and a lot of it is it is a very youn tank

+1 on weekly water changes.
What kind of water are you using? RO or tap?
A lot of it could be from it being a new tank, but the not doing a water change in a month and a half isn't helping.

I'm using sea water for water changes and RO/DI water from the zephyr hills dispenser at publix.. I didn't do a water change because the tank was cycling..

You had all those fish in the tank while it was cycling?

You have all those fish in there with a weak bioload, too.

You're asking for algae problems and a tank crash at this rate imo.

No fish were in there for the cycle, I added them in the last 2 weeks.. I'll keep an eye on the ammonia and keep up with the water changes thanks guys!

They can be fine, but the rate at which you're adding fish is a likely culprit for the algae issues (although the algae really doesn't look that bad).

I would slow way down. Don't add any more fish for at least a couple months while the tank's biofilter has time to catch up.

As for the algae, I'd remove as much as possible by hand and through the siphon when you do water changes. Other than that, it will likely go away over time. It's really not bad at all.

Back