Algae - Normal or Problem

Reefster

Reefing newb
My tank has been up for about 4 months. Based on this photo, is the algae normal for a tank at this stage of life or should I be concerned about it's continued growth? I normally have more blue lights on and did not realize how green the tank had gotten until i switched to all white.

90g 8.3pH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite = 0
Temp 77.5
Skimmer
AI Nano lights - on for about 12hrs at approx 70% power
About dozen snails
Fish (kids picked from Nemo): yellow tang, blue hippo, cleaner shrimp

I think you forgot the photo :)

But a 90 gal tank is much too small for a hippo tang they require a minimum of 180 gallons to do well.

too small? uggh! this was from my lfs who said it would be fine in my tank.

Here is picture...

Attachments

• Algae 2012-01-01.jpg
    Algae 2012-01-01.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 297
Could you be over feeding, not enough clean up crew, lower the length of time with the lights, but as this stuff dies off, watch all your levels.

On a side note, be prepared to re-home that hippo at some point, when it reaches adult size you won't be able to keep it in that 90

I would rehome sooner rather than later. Leaving them in a tank that is too small causes them to stress and die.

Also you should always take the advice from the LFS with a grain of salt and double check it. They exist to sell you fish and equipment so its in their best interest to sell you fish that wont live very long in your tank and equipment that requires you to continually buy more parts/additives. Also just because they work at a LFS doesnt mean that they have a tank at home, have a successful tank at home (they could be buying all new fish every month or have other serious issues) or have any real clue about what they are doing.

Back