Algae pics

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
So I'm still fighting the good fight with algae...here's some pics.
The first one is this weid algae that's growing on one of my live rocks.
The second one you can see the algae that is taking over!!!

Trying to follow the advice you guys already told me (mainly patience!)...but I'm very tempted to get a foxface! Going to try to hold off!.

Enjoy the ugly pics!

Attachments

• algae1.jpg
    algae1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 157
  • algae2.jpg
    algae2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 162
do you have any snails? I had the same problem, I got some turbo snails and some crabs and in a matter of 3 days it was just about gone they ate alot.

Does this happen to everyone after a diatom bloom??
I'm currently in one.. but I have no hair algae yet, just A LOT of brown.

I've got 4 snails, a hermit, and fire shrimp for a CUC..will that take care of it?

PS. sorry for hijackin your thread! :grumble:

I've got a ton of snails and 4 hermits. The snails and hermits are kind of ignoring it.. I think my Emeralds do the best damage on the long hair, I'd highly recommend them (they're really cool too, lots of personality). Unfortunately, they all gravitate to one section of my live rock and won't leave it. (that one is perfectly clean!)

Clown, it took me about 4 weeks after my diatom bloom to see the green algae.
I think my lights are on too long (I was thinking around the equator there are always 12 hour days, so why not put my lights on that long)...I think eight hours would be better. Duh, I should have thought of this before!!!

Anyone know what that mstery algae/fungus is? It looks like the blob.

Looks like hair algae from the pic.
The more it grows the harder it is to get rid of.It'll provide its own nutrients by trapping uneatten food and waste.

And EVERYBODY gets hair algae at some point.You'll also have cyano.Its all part of the system maturing.
It takes for time for the bacteria and other stuff to reach optimal levels to handle the nutrients in the water.

Yeah yote, I hear ya - you keep telling me and I keep whining! Can't you just wave your magic wand for me and make it go away? So hard to watch it take over, though.

No refug....expenses/time (and knowledge on hw to make one) are limiting me from doing that so far. Got some good advice from everyone on the forum, so I'm slowly piecing together a plan, will probably be my spring project.
AE

Oh, and yeah, Yote, that photo of the mystery algae doesn't do it justice. It really looks like a jello mold dessert to me...?

Tried siphoning it and pinching it off (the hair algae)...haven't tried the weird jello algae yet, will try that saturday night when I do the water change.

Yote, can I ask you how many hours you have your lights on for?
-Alex

DIY refug i prod cost me 25$ just a 10 gl tank i had drilled at my LFS i did crak the first one just be carful all in line just a light sucking up powehttp://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo306/reeferpj/002-1.jpg[/IMG
i did split my dran and put a valve on it

I've got a ton of snails and 4 hermits. The snails and hermits are kind of ignoring it.. I think my Emeralds do the best damage on the long hair, I'd highly recommend them (they're really cool too, lots of personality). Unfortunately, they all gravitate to one section of my live rock and won't leave it. (that one is perfectly clean!)

Clown, it took me about 4 weeks after my diatom bloom to see the green algae.
I think my lights are on too long (I was thinking around the equator there are always 12 hour days, so why not put my lights on that long)...I think eight hours would be better. Duh, I should have thought of this before!!!

Anyone know what that mstery algae/fungus is? It looks like the blob.

I am dealing with this fun as well. I have the same complaint about my Emerald crabs, the part of my tank they hang out in is really clean...I just wished they moved around more!

Back