Algae Problem

adudle00

Reefing newb
So I have this algae growing on one rock in my tank, and I can't really get a picture of it, (I've tried!). I'm not sure what kind it is, but maybe a slime algae as it does feel really slimy and it's definitely not hair or bubble algae. It's a brown/green color, not red at all. It's slowly starting to spread and I'm not sure if I should scrub it off (it wipes off easily if I rub my finger on it) or if that would cause it to spread? Any suggestions?
Thanks! -Ash

If you're using tap water or over feeding, then you're fueling it...also, try increasing your water changes, cutting back on your lights, and increasing flow to that area. :)

If you're using tap water or over feeding, then you're fueling it...also, try increasing your water changes, cutting back on your lights, and increasing flow to that area. :)

Don't use tap water (Use RO and make my own, or saltwater), definitely not overfeeding, I do a water change 1x a week and I only have a 14 gallon tank with 1 powerhead. I guess I could try moving the powerhead around, but since the tank is so small, there aren't many places to move it to...

Ashley, if you can pull that rock out with you next water change do so. Scrub it in a bucket of old salt water with a bristle brush. shake it off in the bucket and replace it. I'd also suggest getting some Phosban from All About Fish next time you are there and placing it in the middle chamber of your cube.

Ashley, if you can pull that rock out with you next water change do so. Scrub it in a bucket of old salt water with a bristle brush. shake it off in the bucket and replace it. I'd also suggest getting some Phosban from All About Fish next time you are there and placing it in the middle chamber of your cube.

Hi Wade,
That rock has a huge mushroom attached to it...think it'll be fine if I put it in some old saltwater and just scrub around it? I'll try to pick up some Phosban this week. Thanks!

Back