How many fish is too many?

Donna

Reefing newb
I have a 32gallon LED Biocube. Right now, I have 2 clownfish, 1 cardinalfish, 1 dottyback, and several hermit crabs. Is it a bad idea to add another fish....or does it depend on what kind of fish I add? I'm also having a really hard time with green algae. It's super hard to remove off the glass, and almost impossible to remove off the rocks. Is there something that I can do to help with it, and/or remove it? I'm wondering if I have it in a less than ideal location, and that is what is causing the algae growth. It's not in direct sunlight, however it IS near a window that gets indirect sunlight for a good period of the day....ugh....

any advice/suggestions is GREATLY appreciated!!

You are at your limit now and probably one fish over honestly.
How often are you doing water changes? What are your parameters? Indirect sunlight can aid algae growth but I suspect it is more to do with how much nutrients you are putting in the water when feeding your fish.

I have a 32gallon LED Biocube. Right now, I have 2 clownfish, 1 cardinalfish, 1 dottyback, and several hermit crabs. Is it a bad idea to add another fish....or does it depend on what kind of fish I add? I'm also having a really hard time with green algae. It's super hard to remove off the glass, and almost impossible to remove off the rocks. Is there something that I can do to help with it, and/or remove it? I'm wondering if I have it in a less than ideal location, and that is what is causing the algae growth. It's not in direct sunlight, however it IS near a window that gets indirect sunlight for a good period of the day....ugh....

any advice/suggestions is GREATLY appreciated!!

Do you have a mag float or the equivalent? It makes things much easier for algae cleaning:

https://www.amazon.com/Mag-Float-30...UTF8&qid=1527270845&sr=8-6&keywords=Mag+Float

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Aqu...7270845&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Mag+Float&psc=1

You could also add a lawnmower blenny which isn't a super pretty fish but has lots of personality and will definitely take care of the algae for you in your tank, or if you want a smaller fish the tailspot blenny would do a similar job and be more colorful to boot.

You are at your limit now and probably one fish over honestly.
How often are you doing water changes? What are your parameters? Indirect sunlight can aid algae growth but I suspect it is more to do with how much nutrients you are putting in the water when feeding your fish.
We were doing water changes every other week, but I recently tested the water (ammonia, nitrates, & nitrites) and the nitrates and nitrites were high. The local tropical fish store advised me to do them every three days until the water levels get back to where they need to be. I have a feeling that we were overfeeding them...which could cause algae growth...yes?

Do you have a mag float or the equivalent? It makes things much easier for algae cleaning:

https://www.amazon.com/Mag-Float-30...UTF8&qid=1527270845&sr=8-6&keywords=Mag+Float

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Aqu...7270845&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Mag+Float&psc=1

You could also add a lawnmower blenny which isn't a super pretty fish but has lots of personality and will definitely take care of the algae for you in your tank, or if you want a smaller fish the tailspot blenny would do a similar job and be more colorful to boot.
I just recently bought a mag float...and you’re right...it does make things MUCH easier. However, we’re getting a lot of algae growth on the rocks too. Are the blenny fish the ones that suction themselves to the glass?

We were doing water changes every other week, but I recently tested the water (ammonia, nitrates, & nitrites) and the nitrates and nitrites were high. The local tropical fish store advised me to do them every three days until the water levels get back to where they need to be. I have a feeling that we were overfeeding them...which could cause algae growth...yes?
Yes over feeding provides a fuel for algae growth. The high nitrates are a good indicator. Weekly water changes should be good enough if you reduce some of the food you are putting in the tank.

It's not easy to tell if you're overstocked without knowing your filtration setup. Cardinal fish aren't fast moving but like to cruise around. 32 gal is probably the lower limit for one.They do best in groups so another cardinal fish would be the best addition. But you would need more room.

I have a problem with algae too. I use a plastic hose to remove the algae from the rocks and a single edge razor blade to remove the algae from the glass.

Back