algae scrubber or fuge?

Drilled 55 custom

Reefing newb
Hi reef freinds. I'm making a list for the hardware store for a DIY algae srubber or a 20 gallon refugium. Which works better for nitrates? I considered building both, however room under my stand seems to be an issue.

Thanks for any advice you can share!

I ran a fuge for about four months before I added my scrubber and my trates were always 0. I added the scrubber because I needed a way to eliminate the hair algae from the display.

My stand is also strained for space, i built my scrubber to be almost self contained and then it drains into the fuge, which is then pumped back to the display. The scrubber essentially sits ontop of the fuge (i went verticle as it was the only space I have available - my wife said no visible equipment) :Cheers:

I think they are pretty much equivalent, so if you have room for a big fuge, go with the fuge because they can be easier to maintain. If you are tight on room, or you want something a little more heavy duty, go with the scrubber.

I did both. I was strapped for cash and space so I used what I had and its only a 10 gallon tank that I made a small fuge out of and my scrubber is where my water drains into it. It works out for me because both my fuge and my scrubber are small (weak pump only 100 gph) and as a team they get it done.

IMG_3177.jpg

IMG_3080.JPG

Back