Algae scrubber vs Skimmer

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
Howdy guys. So I have room for one of these in my system. I have a 150g tank with a 40g sump. The sump has a small 5g refugium that I plan on filling with chaeto. It also has a bioball chamber I intend to fill with LR rubble.

I've been reading today about the benefits of a algae scrubber. It sounds like a really good system. However, for something that's been around for over 20 years, there has to be a reason it's not as mainstream as skimmers. The only two negatives I have heard are the maintenance issues and some reported it made the water a dingy color that was remedied by running carbon.

I'd like to hear from people that've had successful sps tanks with an algae scrubber only.

They seem to be most effective when larger. Most people do not have the room required to dedicate to a good, truly efficient algae scrubber.

Having never had a stocked tank this large, I'm not sure how much ill be feeding. But the newest "guidelines" for this say a 10x12 unit lighted by 100 watts on each side will provide enough scrubbing to feed 4-5 cubes of feed daily.

They're basing it off of the amount feed more so than the size of tank now, which I guess makes sense.

Measuring in my cabinet I've got a lot of vertical there, so I could theoretically fit a really oversized scrubber in the sump.

I ran an algae scrubber for about 6 months, at first it was awesome. But after a couple of months it was more of a hassle then a benefit. It was constantly getting clogged with algae or salt creep and spraying water everywhere. I tried several times to fix it a couple different ways, ultimately I went back to running a skimmer and was much happier.

Fhere really is no benefit to running one as opposed to a skimmer. A good, properly sized skimmer will perform mre efficiently and hassle free than any scrubber.

BL1- did you try running saran wrap on it? That's what the guys at one of those websites recommended. When I first saw one that's the exact problem I imagined happening.

I reall want to do what's best for the tank, I don't mind extra maintenance if that's what's required. I just like what I've been reading on with the scrubber. These guys are overfeeding their tanks like crazy and their fish/corals seem to be doing very well with the extra nutrients...but very few of the tanks are SPS dominant. And it all looks like its a short term thing.

Fhere really is no benefit to running one as opposed to a skimmer. A good, properly sized skimmer will perform mre efficiently and hassle free than any scrubber.

Skimmers cant remove nitrates though, nor can they reduce phosphates. They can remove the organics before they have the chance to become the biproducts. That's one of the main supposed benefit of an algae scrubber. That and it doesn't remove helpful food from a tank.

At least that's what I've been reading. Seems to me the best bet would be to run both! But I don't have the room...

Yep I used several methods to try and block the water spray. All it did was concentrate the water in a different direction, it still made a mess.

A skimmer may not remove nitrates or phos but, the water changes do. Even with a scrubber you'd still need to do those anyway.

Did any of you guys run the upward flow system? That looks like less splash, but with the bubbles it's got to be just as bad with the salt creep. If that system works, It's small enough and easy enough to work with that I could run it in the sump with a skimmer.

Check this thread , It is for Algae Scrubber.

https://www.livingreefs.com/lowest-...-hair-bubble-turf-and-slime-algae-t41398.html

https://www.livingreefs.com/lowest-...air-bubble-turf-and-slime-algae-t41398p8.html

Howdy guys. So I have room for one of these in my system. I have a 150g tank with a 40g sump. The sump has a small 5g refugium that I plan on filling with chaeto. It also has a bioball chamber I intend to fill with LR rubble.

I've been reading today about the benefits of a algae scrubber. It sounds like a really good system. However, for something that's been around for over 20 years, there has to be a reason it's not as mainstream as skimmers. The only two negatives I have heard are the maintenance issues and some reported it made the water a dingy color that was remedied by running carbon.

I'd like to hear from people that've had successful sps tanks with an algae scrubber only.

Back