Algae

ReefNOOB21

Reefing newb
So i had my tank running for about 2 months now and i all of a sudden had boom of algae growth on my rocks sand and glass. my chemistry are at 0. what gives?

That is very common in new tanks, and the tests are reading zero because the algae is using up the nitrates and phosphates to grow.

You just have to work through this by figuring out where the source of the nitrates/phosphates is coming from, and being diligent about your water chemistry and care of your tank.

So lets start by figuring out where the source of the issue is. Please answer these questions:
How much are you feeding?
What are you feeding?
How many fish do you have?
How long do you leave your lights on?
How old are the bulbs?
How often are you doing water changes?
How big of a water change are you doing?
Are you using tap water?
What other equipment are you using in your tank (canister filters, protein skimmers, power heads etc?)

That is very common in new tanks, and the tests are reading zero because the algae is using up the nitrates and phosphates to grow.

You just have to work through this by figuring out where the source of the nitrates/phosphates is coming from, and being diligent about your water chemistry and care of your tank.

So lets start by figuring out where the source of the issue is. Please answer these questions:
How much are you feeding? I'm feeding once daily with flake food
What are you feeding?
How many fish do you have? I currently have 2 clowns 1 angel and a shrimp with snails and hermits
How long do you leave your lights on? I have my aquaticlife running for 12 hoours for antinics and 10 hours for whites
How old are the bulbs? new
How often are you doing water changes? i just did a water change last week which was my first.
How big of a water change are you doing? i did 5 gallons
Are you using tap water? no
What other equipment are you using in your tank (canister filters, protein skimmers, power heads etc?)
I have a hob fitler wtihout the mechanical part but i use it to run chemipure. i do have the bio wheel on it though. i have a hydor nano slim skim but i just ordered an aquac remora that is coming in friday that will be replaciing it. i have an mp10 for flow. thats about it for equipment.

Try switching from flake foods to frozen foods. You can buy frozen at Petco, Petsmart or your LFS.

Cut back on your lighting to 6 to 8 hours a day. More light = more algae.

Do water changes once a week, 5 gallons at a time is good to stick with.

Good job on not using tap water. :)

Try to remove as much of the algae by hand as possible. This is very common in a new tank and it's a phase that pretty much everyone has to go through in the first few months.

its not really hair algae. my tank just looks green with all the algae. im going to take the angelfish back to the lfs. i changed the lighting to 10 and 8 last night. im not currently near my tank during hte week. my gf takes care of it and she swears to do nothing but top off with the RO water i left her and feed it( i showed her how much to feed) i feed frozen when im there though. im thinking the main contributer could be the angelfish though seeing that i only have a 25g. i think he just causes more harm then good.

ps i love this site bc of hte fast response from you guys. and very helpful.

You are right -- 3 fish in a newly set up 25 gallon tank may be pushing it. The more fish you have, the more food they eat and the more waste they produce. Which means more algae.

thats what i was thinking. im goign to get a hob fuge to help combat it also. but def this weekend im going to spend my saturday fishing him out of the tank. any ideas?

Algae is tough because it seems to show up over night, but it can take months to go away. So hang tough and keep up on your maintenance. Also do try and get the tank totally on frozen, better for you water quality and fish.

Back