Algaecide?

montoya

Reefing newb
Has anyone used one of the Algaecide products before? The few I can find for saltwater claim they don't harm corals That doesn't seem possible however since many corals have algae growing within their cells. I also assume any such product would kill the coraline algae I've tried so hard to grow?

Let me know. I've been pulling long green algae out of my tank by the handfull for the past few weeks. I've done water changes several times over. I reduced my fish load to only a small clown, damsel and dwarf angel in my 55 gallon which seems reasonable. Nothing seems to help. Gobs of algae are clogging my powerheads, skimmer and everything else.

Thanks.

+dustin, i only used marine S.A.T. before it is more less bacteria and enzymes, worked great for me, but you still have to find out whats causing excess nutrients.

1. Use RO water (I'm assuming you are)
2. Have a good skimmer and lots of LR
3. Lower feedings and have a smaller fish load (you have that)
4. Reduce light cycle (unless you have light intesive corals)
5. GFO in a reactor or in a media bag in a high flow area
That should lower your nutrients, thus reducing your algae.
Pull out as much as you can by hand and be patient. HTH

JAG said the keywork patience, that is most important everything he posted will fix situation. i feed my tank 2 times a week, if you can't get a ro/di filter than try buying water from walmart or local fish store.

I use Algeafix Marine by API and it's safe for all corals, fish, inverts etc. and it's been working well for me. These guys are right though I too still need to find the cause.

+1 for Dustin and Jag.

Another product I've found and been using,is MicroBactor7 from Brightwell Aquatics.
Its an enzyme that cultures bacterplankton,then those plankton feed off of the dissolved organics in your water.Basically eats up the nutrients the algae needs to survive.

Vodka and sugar dosing can do the same thing as Yote sad. Make very sure that you know what you are doing when adding enzymes to your tank. If you add to much you will have a bacteria blum and then you will have awhole other mess on your hands.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Is "Marine SAT" a brand name? I tried an internet search for that and it doesn't come up.

Also - did it kill off your coraline algae when you used it? The entire back of my tank is a nice uniform purple color which I would like to keep.

For some reason (and thankfully at that) the long green algae is only groing on my rocks.

SAT is just a live bacteria that out competes the algae for nutrients.It wont effect coralline in any way.

Back