alge problem

Coralreefer23

I AM a Reefer@
Ok ive had my tank running since july its a 29 g nano with no lid ,a current older nova with the hand made bulbs that arent t5 or t8 so think there compacs? I have a four fish, lots of snails a star that has broke into two pieces which i think was on the LR when i first introduced them to the tank. Also a few hermet crabs and some cleaners that run around with night mode running . I am bout to upgrade my light either to t5 or i might just go all out and pic up a halogen viper or another current setup? I have a small refrigum in back with chateo . I think i need to grow my cheatoa bit more so it fills up to the drain flowing threw the back so its not just at the lower half of the flowing water and not being bypassed? Also might add some LR to add volume in the refrigum . I dont have a rodi water pump yet so i get my water from the store and do a 10 g pull every two weeks . I used carbon up till october and then just havent used any since which if i need will run it if i have to! I just need to get rid of this alge can i just scrub and put them in another tank just till the alge is gone or ? I dont want to add chemicals those are scary running just in a 29 g might mess up my levels which havent had to worry bout any help as to how to approach this ? I have green hair , red hair and bright green alge i am going to get a heater and a few other tools to make it run perfect to add some corals just want to make it not a death trap!!!!

Is this an All-in-one tank? If so, they are actually smaller then advertised, more like 22-25 gallons. That being said, you may slightly be over stocked. Do you have a test kit? If so, post your test results my guess is that you have high nitrates, phosphates, or both.

No, you can get a 1pound container of GFO from Bulk Reef Supply for around $20 and with your tank only being 29 gallons that should be enough for 6 months (once you get your levels down to zero). You can buy a reactor or put in in a media bag and place it in a high flow area in your sump or filter.

Check your Nitrates as BL1 suggested. Algae love excess nutrients and it sounds like you have some. The trick is to export them as fast as you import them. Good flow, Skimming, cheato, and phosphate media help me keep my levels at Zero. Dont under estimate good flow around your rocks, I had all that running and still had a small case of hair algae. I then built a pvc frame to get my live rock off the sand and create flow under the rock, after that i watched my algae die off.

Small oclaris clown girl a cinnimon clown 50 size yellow tall dotty and a purple orange. And yellow carribian dotty back and a pepermint shrimp for my aptasia compements !also some naseris snails and other white pooky shelly snails its been running great for three months with these clowns they like do like a bonding swimming dance its cool! And 14 pounds of LR

Now i picked up a sunpaq light from current! It sports 12 led white and blue and a double ended haled bulb 250 watt, purple freakin sweet as hell when this turns on this is a grab of a life time. Thanks to the craigslist bandit lol it was the compact bulbs end of they're life span and could control the growth. Now i will post pics from start to finish any one want to make any suggestions to get me to the coral stage and anemone life lol!1123

I really dont know anything about that light and how strong it is but there are lots of great easy corals to keep. Look into leathers, mushrooms, and other softy corals. They are great to start with. They dont require extra feeding, super clean water or high lighting conditions.

I would wait at least a year before you even think about adding a nem. They are some of the hardest animals to keep in this hobby. They require super high light conditions, perfect water chemistry, and no swings in parameters. A rather huge issue with the nems is that if they do die, they can and usually do, kill everything in the tank because of toxins they release.

Back