All around best lighting for most corals?

WaVe RiDeR

Reefing newb
Okay i am looking for a fairly cheap light fixture for my 30 gallon nano tank, I am looking for something that i don't have to up grade or buy new bulbs, something that i can use right out of the box. i have been looking all around the web for something that fits what i desire and need, need some suggestions?

Well I would suggest LEDs, plus if you go DIY it would not be much. You would probably only need one fixture

Odyssea fixture, aquatraders.com I have the 36 inch fixture 4 bulb 156watt on my 29g and doing good, and was only 105$

Last edited:
Odyssea fixture, aquatraders.com I have the 36 inch fixture 4 bulb 156watt on my 29g and doing good, and was only 105$

I was looking into this fixture and i believe i have talked with you about that fixture in previous threads, my only problem with that fixture is that i have heard fix reviews between them catching fire and the bulbs and algae growth.

Ah its not to bad, put one wire from + to - and repeat. Put them on using some adhesive they give, and link them with a solder iron. Just start looking on some How to Youtube videos to see if its your type of thing.

The older model odyessea fixtures had problems with catching fire but, the newer models have fixed that. As far as bulbs and algae growth, they not going to grow anymore algae then other bulbs but, you should replace them at about 6 months before they start to shift color spectrums.

if you want led, check out Finsanity Aquarium Store they sell diy leds, but put them together for you. i think it would be around 199.99 for your tank. i am getting my lights from them, and i will pick them up this weekend. ill have a video of the up

I'm getting the same thing as nanoreefer soon so I'll tell you how I like them. ;)

If he ever finishes them. :?

haha yeah, i was just talking to him and he was building 11 different ones. mine will be ready this weekend. he has some darth maul palys in so ill be getting a frag of that too.

yeah nut once you get it and replace the crappy stock bulbs your up another 80 bucks.. with the leds they have like a 10 year bulb life

the more I am reading and researching the LED's the more I am leaning toward an expensive brand ( such as the AI's or radions) people are reporting par loss very quickly on the DIY's even alot of reports on the ecoray's and a few others...

I would hate to buy a expensive led fixture only for it to fade out a year later. I am going to put a 6 bulb t5 on my 75 g project after xmas.

the more I am reading and researching the LED's the more I am leaning toward an expensive brand ( such as the AI's or radions) people are reporting par loss very quickly on the DIY's even alot of reports on the ecoray's and a few others...

I would bet that the DIY's losing par very quickly are buying the knock off LEDs or not utilizing a large enough heat sink. A quality DIY uses the same brand and type LED that the expensive fixtures use.

I would bet that the DIY's losing par very quickly are buying the knock off LEDs or not utilizing a large enough heat sink. A quality DIY uses the same brand and type LED that the expensive fixtures use.

+1 on this comment - if a DIY is done with proper LED's and proper heat sinks, you wont have any issues

To the original poster. You talk about not wanting to replace bulbs. The fact of the matter is that with anything but LED's you will need to change bulbs out at LEAST once a year, depending on what brand of bulbs you buy, it may be twice a year. This is the single most important purchase for a reef tank, do not cut corners here, even if it means saving a little longer to buy something that will work for your needs

Back