Aloha :)

Pete144

Reefing newb
Aloha everyone. Been doing saltwater for about 3 years now. I have a 75 gal tank with a yellow tang, sailfin tang, a naso tang, a blue damsel, tomato clown and a Singapore angel. I have several star fish and hermit crabs in this tank as well.

I also have a 6 gal nano tank that I am planning on putting an anemone hermit crab in (he is in my 75 gal tank now, just have to move him over, as 6 gal tank just finished cycling).

Looking forward to gaining more knowledge here about saltwater tanks.

hello and welcome!

Thats a mighty small tank for those fish though .. .

I've always been told to have about 10 gallons of water per fish. In my 75 gal tank I have 7 fish. I am not going to put any fish in the 6 gallon tank, that's just to small for fish.

You are right, im just saying that is very little swimming room for fish that are that big. I personally wouldnt put any of those fish in a tank shorter than 6 feet. Well except for the damsel and clown, that 75 is plenty big for them.

You are right, im just saying that is very little swimming room for fish that are that big. I personally wouldnt put any of those fish in a tank shorter than 6 feet. Well except for the damsel and clown, that 75 is plenty big for them.

The tank is 5 feet long. I've never been told that about tangs. They all seem to be doing fine in there, as have had it like that for a while. I'll keep it in mind though.

Thanks.

Pete, you have to watch out for the Tang police!! ;)
But they do have a valid point, it is frowned upon to give them such little swimming space, you need to go for 125 Gallons for those suckers!! :D

Ok, if they stop eating or start getting ich or something it might be time to move them onto a large home.

And lfs is never going to tell you that because they make money when they sell you a fish that is going to stress and die in your tank and you go back and buy another one. Remember, no one on her is going to make money from you or wants to see you fail, so the advice we have to give is the very best we have.

I'll keep that in mind. I've had my sailfin, yellow and naso tang in that the tank for almost 1.5 years now. They all seem to be doing fine and they all eat very well.

That is good, you are very lucky. The yellow will more than likely always be ok in that tank, but the naso and the sailfin will outgrow it at some point.

That is good, you are very lucky. The yellow will more than likely always be ok in that tank, but the naso and the sailfin will outgrow it at some point.

Yeah, the Naso is getting pretty big. Starting to wonder how much longer I might be able to keep him around.

Hello and welcome! The naso will be the fastest growing out of your fish. The yellow and sailfin can stay small for many years.

Back