Ammonia question

atexada

Reefing newb
Sadly, I lost my diamond goby. He is apparently dead but under the sand or in the live rock. I have high ammonia levels. How long is the usual ammonia spike from one dead fish? Is a large water change in order? Do I risk moving LR to find him?

well, i'm too new to all of this to have a good answer, but if it were me, and i were in that situation, i would probably check through the sand and stuff that i can get to without a major re-arrange, hopefully get lucky and find it that way...

and from what i've seen thus far in my 2 weeks of having a saltwater tank, a water change cant really hurt anything, so i'd say go for that either way, cant hurt, plus in doing that, you might just float him out of his hideing spot...

sorry to hear about your loss.

Has your tank already cycled? If so, the ammonia reading should be at 0. If you have high ammonia, i would do a large water change immediately (25-30%).

If your tank hasnt gone through the cycle, remove all living creatures and let the tank cycle first.

My rank had cycles and just yesterday at lunch the water tested OK. I am on my way home to do the25% water change. Would you stir up the sand looking for the deceased goby or just let it be?

If you have any bit of a cleaner crew, it will be close to impossible to find a body. Crabs, snails and starfish usually get to work as soon as they smell something about to die. Stirring up the sand is never a good idea -- it will release detritus and crap into the water.

Your best bet if you have ammonia readings is to do daily water changes to minimize the stress on the other animals.

So, do you think the two electric blue crabs in the tank ate it? I did a 10% water change this afternoon and the ammonia has dropped to almost zero. All the fish are seeming fine now, so this crisis may be over. WIll do another water change Saturday.

Thanks for all the help here! This forum is invaluable!

It wouldn't have taken only two small hermits. But I guarantee you have more cleaners in there than those two guys. You probably have a handful of bristleworms, which are some of the best cleaners you can have.

Back