Amn Issues

reefkeeper55

Reefing newb
I have set up another FOWLR 65 gal tank, has been up and running for almost 3 weeks. All paramaters including ammonia were at zero...now that I have added 3 fish and a hermit crab and a few snails the ammonia is up a little, also adding Stability and Prime and have done 2 - 25 gal water chgs in the last 4 days....should I keep doing the water chgs or just let it go ahead and do its thing? Dont want to lose the fish, one is a SMALL Regal Angel....tks

If you added all of them at once that would figure in on the spike. I would let it go, but keep a close eye on it. If it starts rising, do a water change, if it begins to go down, you are okay.

tks fast....I did add them 2 days apart....one is a Tomini Tang, a Foxface both of which are med size I guess but the Regal Angel is just a baby at aboout 3 in or less...sure would hate to lose any of them but esp the Regal...should I keep adding the Prime and Stability or just let it go and keep an eye on it? I haven't touched the substrate just quick 25 gal chgs....tks

quite a bit for a 65 I guess....3 or 4 pcs of base rock that wasnt cured but several pcs of live that had coraline plus a piece of tonga that weighed 16 lbs...everyone seems to doing fine but just trying to be cautious....should I stop the stability and prime? Thanks

I would, but that is just me. I don't like putting any chemicals in my tank unless I absolutely have to. Let the natural filtration start working and it should start breaking down the ammonia. If not after a few days, do another water change if your level is high.

OMG ! The SPCA bleeding hearts might have me arrested for using a live fish ;-)

What she is implying is that now there are more humane ways to start and run a cycle using fish food or a piece of table shrimp, rather than using a living animal to suffer through it.

Wow. Well, you're not going to last long around here with that kind of attitude. Nobody here appreciates jokes or advice regarding using fish to cycle tanks then flushing them.

Back