Amount of live rock for a 285 Gallon tank

mm16

Reefing newb
I went to a Lfs and was talking about my new 285 gallon tank. He said that I wouldn't want or need 300lb of live rock because it is a see though tank. So I asked him if I should put it in my sump and he said no you don't need it. He didn't give me a number of lbs he would suggest, I guess for him it was about the look to be able to see through from both sides and I shouldn't be worried about 300lbs of rock. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Yes - its time for a new LFS

Live rock is the primary means of filtration for a saltwater tank. Read any of the literature out there on setting up a tank and you will see 1-2 pounds of rock per gallon listed as the norm. It is possible to do less, but if you do, you'll have to reduce the bioload of your tank accordingly.

Alternatively, you could put some of the rock in your sump in an attempt to open the tank up some, but it is very important for your fish to have places to go when they feel threatened - and for most fish that will be the rocks

Now, keep in mind that in order to keep the cost down, you can use primarily 'dry' rock and seed it with a little bit of good live rock, a ratio of 10:1 is what I used - that is a lot easier on the pocket book

Using that formula you'd be looking at ~250 pounds of dry rock and ~35-40 pounds of live rock minumum.

If you aren't in a hurry for the cycle to complete, you can also use all live rock - but your cycle will tend to take longer that way

Pounds of rock is a guide line some rock is more porous then others. However you still need quite a bit of rock for that size tank. Like said above you need places for the fish to call home as well. No idea how big of a sump you are planning but rock in there will help un-clutter the display. I have never actually put my rock on a scale but for my 45 gallon tank I would be shocked if I had less the 100 lbs.

Back