And We're Live! Buddys 75g Setup

get frozen mysis. in fact all of your foods other than the algae should be frozen.

P.S.- You're allowed to open the freezer in most stores..:D

Rod's food is also highly recommended if your store carries it.

my kenya tree died (im assuming.) sometime last night through today. i get home from work and its shrivled up and white. Normally it would be a light purple with darker purple/maroon polyps open. Any idea what the cause could have been?

PH is 8.4
temp is 79
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrates: 0ppm
nitrites: 0ppm.

Only thing I have done different in the tank was simply unplugging a powerhead due to the clatter noise (did this last night during a movie and forgot to turn it back on today) and yesterday when i fed my yellow tang, i cut up an algae sheet into small bite size pieces (roughly 15 to 20) and dropped them in the tank as if it were flake food. My clip broke and wasnt working so i figured this would be a quick fix. Other than that, everything has been the same. Ive been dosing the tank with calcium and alkalinity bufferes every other day to raise the calcium for corals in the next month or so but now im wondering if i should even attempt it at the moment.

Its not a huge loss since this was a "bonus" on the liverock discovered after i purchased it but like stated before, brings a little concern about adding more corals in the future. My mushroom color is looking great, infact i believe its doubled in size since i first discovered it (another bonus) and is now a teal green/brown color.

As for an update on the ich, the tang has plumped up some. He is still very interested in eating and is still grazing on rocks as well. Hes very active and swims all over the tank in and out of crevices and caves. He still has 2 white specks on his tail fin though that im currently monitoring. We shall see how that turns out in the near future.

That is kinda odd, normally you are trying to kill those things. Do you have enough light ( i cant remember, sorry), it sounds kinda like your mushrooms are expanding to have more surface area so they can do more photosynthesis.

And unless you have hard corals, dosing calcium and alk shouldnt be a concern. What are your parameters for those at anyways? Most people's levels are fine just with regular water changes.

And im glad to hear the tang is porking up. Just give him time and food, and he will beat that ich! Also you can rubberband the seaweed to a rock if your clip is broken.

i have 4x HO 54W t5 lamps

the calcium levels are around 380. I dont have an alkalinity test yet.

Im using reef code A&B to buffer them.

big bird apparently works miracles. Kenya tree is alive, back to its usual purple stalks and brown polyps and is its usual size. What could have been the cause of this? Honestly, the thing was all closed up and white for 2 days. Similar to the way it did when lights were off.

Makes sense. Why are kenya trees considered an "unwanted" coral? Ive see a lot of people stating theyre usually not wanted or something you would want to get rid of. any particular reason? I smashed vermetid snails with a hammer, if i need to smash a coral... I will :D

They spread very quickly, like a pest. They take over everything around them and are very difficult to get rid of once they establish themselves. I had a problem with them taking over everything in my 240, along with majano anemones. I boiled all my rock (600 lbs of it) to get rid of them. There was no other way to kill those stupid things!

Makes sense. Why are kenya trees considered an "unwanted" coral? Ive see a lot of people stating theyre usually not wanted or something you would want to get rid of. any particular reason? I smashed vermetid snails with a hammer, if i need to smash a coral... I will :D

I dont know either I really like mine I guess because it grows fast and spreads quickly but i dont see any reason you couldnt just keep it trimmed to the size you want. The guy I bought mine from had a HUGE tree thats trunk was several inches around I thought it was beautiful.

my LFS has a rather large one in their DT. Its probably 3 to 5 inches thick and i thought it was rather pretty. If it begins to spread, how do i maintain it?

my LFS has a rather large one in their DT. Its probably 3 to 5 inches thick and i thought it was rather pretty. If it begins to spread, how do i maintain it?

from time to time they will drop there arms off, if you dont want more just pull em out of the tank b4 they can atach to your rock

Back