ammonia 0ppm-0.25ppm
nitrates 0ppm
nitrites 0ppm

Todays parameters
ph 8.2
ammonia 0.25ppm
nitrates 0ppm
nitrites 0ppm

Here is a picture of what i believe to be a baby snail. Correct me if im wrong. I have seen roughly 5 or 6 of these fellas in the tank.
DSC00985.jpg

I think this is a sponge
DSC00995.jpg

not sure what these are, please identify and let me know if its good or bad
DSC00987.jpg

DSC00993.jpg

this thing is purple and juts out of the rock
DSC00992.jpg

and the tank, all cleared up
DSC00990.jpg

DSC00997.jpg

My sureflows are sort of annoying and hum alot with an occasional vibration noise. is there anything i can do to fix this or would you recommend 2x 1000gph+ powerheads that arent so noisy?

they are feather dusters reef safe, dose the thing in the first pic have a shell or look more like a flat slug with 2 horns? it kinda looks like a flatworm but hard to tell if it is then thats bad. +1 on sponge they are good and reef safe. as far as the powerheads ive never used that kind so idk, but Hydor Koralia Evolution Pumps are what ive used and been vary happy with them sofar Water Pumps & Wavemakers: Hydor Koralia Evolution . as far as the outher stuff i cant see what it is from the pic's but tank looks like its coming along nicely.

it has a white shell, a flat bottom or foot like a snail does, and 2 small white antennas. It looks just like this
babysnail.jpg

Last edited:
first one is a mushroom (good stuff!) and i think the second one is a kenya tree. Those can turn into a major pest when they multiply all over the tank.

Tank update. Nitrates:0
nitrites: 0
ammonia: 0
ph 8.0-8.2

Added 2 cooling fans to the back, the lighting system was heating up the water a good 4 degrees higher than desired so i decided that i needed some fans.
DSC01014.jpg

both fans are facing away from the canopy to exhaust the heat (not cool the lamps). as seen in picture, both fans have temperature monitors to control the fan speed based on heat (yellow and black wire)
DSC01012.jpg

DSC01013.jpg

and theyre working as intended.
DSC01015.jpg

Tank is currently going through its diatom bloom as seen in picture
DSC01020.jpg

but can be seen on only a few rocks like the one in the center. Hopefully this will clear up soon.

I also found out i have a few vermetid snails in my tank. After identifying them in the identification thread, i learned they were reef safe but a sight for sore eyes and could spread all over. I didnt want that cause quite frankly, theyre ugly! People stated i could superglue them shut to prevent them from opening, or i could poke them with a paperclip and kill them. I did even worse, I smashed em with a hammer! :frustrat:
i felt horrible but it was sooo necessary. Heres a picture before he was smashed.
DSC01016.jpg

they remind me of your common wood slug.

Since all water parameters were in check, i decided to go ahead and add a few snails and hermits.
DSC01019.jpg

DSC01018.jpg

home sweet home
DSC01022.jpg

DSC01023.jpg

I need to go ahead and come up with a stock list for my fish and corals, I know i want a pair of clowns. Possibly 1 black and 1 orange? What else would work in my setup? I want this tank to be colorful but yet peaceful. I know i will get a few zoas and more mushrooms based on some earlier input, i also like the look of zoas so thats a def. +

thats about it for now, any advice is always welcomed:bounce:

Last edited:
Thanks brian, Ive been looking around on the site and also found a compatibility chart which is also helping me. Just have to google pictures of these fish so i know what they look like and their temperament because i'm still learning so much, i dont want to overwhelm the tank with aggression. I found some beautiful maroon clowns at my LFS and later found out they get meannnn so was pretty heartbroken about that :\

You should always added the meanest fish last, that will cut down on some aggression issues. So add peaceful to evil, beautiful devils ;)

Back