anemone id

sicklids

salt water dummy
sorry, i dont have a pic as of yet, but my buddy bought an anemone this weekend, $12, purple and the pet store said that it dont need hardly any light to live. siad it could live on regular flourescents. what type of anemone is this?

im gonna say thats it! the LFS said it would not host the clown he got, but the clown died anyway so i dont guess it really matters now does it!

I have seen damselfish go host in them before but if u decide to get one get the yellowtail damselfish becuase it is the least aggresive and stays pretty small.

its not mine, its one of my buddies, he got some gold damsels along with a firefish goby, a domino, and a valentine puffer.

just called the pet store we went to this weekend and it is a Condy, now, is it possible that this anemone killed his clownfish? it was fine and then all of a sudden it was flying across the tank and acting crazy, then laying on the bottom of the tank on the sand, and would repeat this process until it was finally stuck to the filter intake.

There are only 2 types of anemones that I know of that can thrive without good light.And that is majano and aiptasia anemones.

well, they said it would be fine with some 50/50's, and said that they have been known to thrive in just flourescents. i dont think im spelling that right.

...but then again, they also said this thing dont sting too, so...

Every anemone has stinging nematocyst.Condys,Bubble tips,carpets,They all have them.If you want to see,touch any anemone you want with a cut on your hand.
Sounds like that LFS is full of crap to me.

really? the firefish goby will? i did not know that, i will tell him. this anemone is like huge though! well, nothing surprizes me anymore in SW!

Every anemone has stinging nematocyst.Condys,Bubble tips,carpets,They all have them.If you want to see,touch any anemone you want with a cut on your hand.
Sounds like that LFS is full of crap to me.

i would have to agree with ya there Yote!!! so hows that mantis shrimp farm working out for ya? hahah!!! just had to do it!!

Anemones can and will kill fish, and from your description of the clown's behavior, it is possible that's what happened.

If your friend bought an anemone to host his clown, he should have researched, certain anemones are not compatible at all with certain clowns, and certain anemones do better with certain clowns. In the end, there's no guarantee that the clown will favor an anemone in the first place, a lot of them just ignore them.

Besides the ones that Yote mentioned, tube anemones come to mind as another type of anemone that doesn't need strong light.

well, this morning my buddy woke up at 6 am and called me (i was still in bed of course) to tell me that one of his damsels was dead and he is blaming the anemone! so when i got up, 9 am, i called him back and asked so what did you do, he said the anemone is sitting on my porch! i was like why did you do that, he said cause it pissed him off! so end of story for this anemone!

Back