Is my new anemone sick/dying?

Donna

Reefing newb
Hi there...I am SUPER new to the fish tank thing, so I’m sorry if this is a dumb question. Regardless, I still need to figure out what’s going on with my new bubbletip anemone (bought a week ago). When I first put it in my tank, it looked really good....but now it doesn’t look right. The best way I can describe it, would be that it looks “tensed up”. I have 2 clown fish, and neither of them have ever gotten very close to it. I was told by they guy at the fish store that I didn’t have to worry about feeding it...is that true? If anyone can offer any advice/suggestions, I would GREATLY appreciate it...

Thanks SO much...

Attachments

• 3290EBF8-0582-414E-B42F-57DD78095F0C.jpeg
    3290EBF8-0582-414E-B42F-57DD78095F0C.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 2,810
One of the things people never take into account when they see the whole "clownfish/'nem" relationship is the fact that most clownfish are captive bred these days and have no clue what to do with one since they have never been exposed to them. There are some examples of people who have had to develop some methods to actually train their captive bred clownfish to be hosted by the anemone. As for it not doing well, BTAs require a well established tank with high intense lighting to do well. If you are using a basic LED chances are it's not enough. Either way your clownfish don't need one. I would recommend getting rid of the BTA as it will be more hassle than it's worth (as you have already seen).

Once again....thank you. You really know your sh*t! I appreciate the explanation....makes me feel like it wasn't ME that was killing it (like i said before....I've never been a fish person....a serial killer in the goldfish community, for sure.). Sucks because I think anemones are so cool to look at. However, their a bit on the pricey side.....so I'll just cut my losses and enjoy the fish that are somewhat easier (and WAY less expensive). After all, they are WAY more entertaining to watch.....

Thanks for the advice!!!

Once again....thank you. You really know your sh*t! I appreciate the explanation....makes me feel like it wasn't ME that was killing it (like i said before....I've never been a fish person....a serial killer in the goldfish community, for sure.). Sucks because I think anemones are so cool to look at. However, their a bit on the pricey side.....so I'll just cut my losses and enjoy the fish that are somewhat easier (and WAY less expensive). After all, they are WAY more entertaining to watch.....

Thanks for the advice!!!

Agreed. I always tell someone to think twice before they go for that "cool looking" Clown/BTA relationship as they have no idea the kind of hassle they are in for. That and you will spend enough time working in and around your tank over the months (ie occasionally adjusting rockwork, cleaning) that you will appreciate not having a stinging critter in your tank. As for knowing my stuff, truthfully I am still learning, but I have spent nearly 2 years between my own personal experiences and research from other people's experiences so it's given me a decent knowledge of marine aquariums. I am a bit of an odd duck in that I spent 3-4 months researching saltwater tanks and had never owned a fish tank of any kind before (not even a gold fish or betta). My 36 gallon bowfront was my first fish tank of any kind and then a year later I got my 10 gallon glofish tank kit for my office at work. So I had nearly a year of saltwater experience between my 36 gallon bowfront and my current 90 gallon tank before I ever set up my first freshwater tank. Rather humorous in hindsight. As for fish killing? You did have the odds stacked against you on the Goldfish, since arguably the worst lie ever told in fish keeping are that Goldfish belong in bowls or that Betta fish belong in something even smaller. As for your saltwater biocube? Small weekly Saltwater/RODI water changes, a good cleanup crew (ie snails and small hermit crabs), and monthly filter media replacement will go a long way to keeping your fish and tank healthy and happy.

Last edited:
Well, I totally appreciate you....after all, you are the only one that's answered my questions....I'm just lucky that the one person who has responded to me, also has some really great info/advice. The crazy thing about all of this, is that I didn't get into this because I "wanted" to....see, my sisters and I bought our dad the Biocube for Christmas this past year (he had saltwater fish tanks for YEARS when we were growing up and has ALWAYS loved them). About 3 days after, he was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. He chose to not do chemo, and is now on Hospice care. He never had a chance to get it started. My sister and her bf attempted, but the water levels were off and it just kept getting worse. Anyway, in early April, he sadly stated to me that he won't ever "get to see fish swimming in his fish tank"....and that he was giving up on it because the water was getting worse and he didn't know how to fix it. It broke my heart...but I was determined to fix this problem. Here are the before and after pics:
IMG_5271.JPG
IMG_5287.JPG

and now there are 2 clown fish and a butt load of hermit crabs, so I'm hooked.....plus, my dad is SO happy, which makes it all worth it.

Back