Anemone maybe?

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Thinking about adding one to my tank. Need some advise so I can decide if I actually want to do this or not.

1. Is there such thing as an "easy" anemone? One that will host a clown?

2. Do the hosting ones need a clown or do they do okay without one?

3. Is there a preferred flow amount for them? Currently I'm moving 3512gph in my standard 90. Is that enough?

4. IF.....I get one, what do I do with my corals while it searches for a spot to attach? I don't want it killing off my corals while searching for a home!

5. My power heads are mounted high on the glass, is this good for keeping the nem out of them or is more protection needed?

I'm doing my research here folks. I need to know if I can keep one of these guys or not. Tank is, and has been stable for a while now. The only water issue I've ever had was slightly elevated PO4. I'm still not sold on that since the tests are so unreliable. I run GFO 24/7 anyway.

I've been reading posts dug up via the search, but haven't found the information I am looking for. At least not stated in a way that has hit me yet!

1. The easiest anemone that will host a clown is a bubble tip. This is the easiest anemone, but is still considered "expert only". They are still much more difficult than most corals. There is also no guarantee that the clown will want anything to do with it. The clown may completely ignore the anemone and never go near it.

2. Anemones do fine without a clown.

3. You have enough flow.

4. There isn't much you can do. And you can't guarantee that it will stay put once it finds a spot. Yote had an anemone that was in one spot for a long time. One night it decided to talk a walk and turned his SPS tank into a white stick farm.

5. I don't think the anemone will get into the powerheads if they are up on the glass. If they are low, and close to the rocks, there is potential for the anemone to get sucked into it. But they don't normally climb the glass, so if they are high enough it should be okay.

If your tank has been set up for around a year, and your parameters are stable, and you have good lights, and you want to try one, then a bubble tip is the way to go. :)

You need to decide if you want one in your rock work or in your substrate because different species like different places.

1. There are easier species than others to keep for sure (Bubble Tip being one of the less difficult and will host). The BTA prefers rock work.

2. No they do not need a host ( I have three myself with no host). If you have adequate lighting the anemone will be fine. Some people choose to spot feed occassionally as well.

3. They like some flow but do not want to be beat down. The anomone will find a place it likes as far as foot safety, light and flow.

4. That is always the big question---- since they never really stay exactly where you want them. I shut down all my flow and place them in the general area I would like it to be and let it get a foot hold. Then I turn my powerheads back on and monitor. It is a crap shoot b/c they can move so monitoring is a must until it gets settled. You might have to move a coral or two or three out of its way.

5. If they climb the glass or turn loose with their foot there is the possibility of getting diced up by a powerhead. You can put a screen on your powerhead if you think that will be an issue.

Anemones are made up of your water chemistry so if you continue to have great water quality and don't have a lot of swings and good lighting they are an awesome addition, IMO.

Hope this helps some!

I am sad to say I have killed my share of anemones over the years. I have been able to keep one (which turned into 8) for over 1.5 years now. Success came after I started using RO/DI water and really punched up my lighting to 2x 175W MH and 2x 110W VHO Tubes.

Flow and Light are just as important as very very clean water.

I say dont do it. I have done condy's and bubble tip and both times I regretted it. I traded the condy's to another reefer and the bubble tip died and became a huge PITA to get the water quality back good again.

They are not worth it in my opinion. If you have a clown get a big frogspawn they look equally cool and mine loves it just like it was an anemone.

Back