Anemone reaction to calcium

Yes. My rose anenome does close a bit when I dose with calcium.. Try under dosing. That may do the trick. I always underdose a bit. It's a much safer bet. Don't rely totaly on what you read on the bottle.

Dont think so, will test when I get home. I dose at night to prevent the fish or anything else from mistaking it for fish food. The anemone however happens to be right in the water column, so when i dose it pretty much hits him in the face. /shrug. I'm not really sure what the problem is and it happened last night and i didn't notice how irritated the nem looked until this morning and of course its right as I'm walking out the door :(

Yes. My rose anenome does close a bit when I dose with calcium.. Try under dosing. That may do the trick. I always underdose a bit. It's a much safer bet. Don't rely totaly on what you read on the bottle.

I underdose everything thats an additive that i put in.

Try disolving the additive in some tank water first. This will then allow you to add it as a liquid and solid chunks wont land on your Nem.

Try disolving the additive in some tank water first. This will then allow you to add it as a liquid and solid chunks wont land on your Nem.

I initially did this, it just turned the tank a milky white and it fizzed when I was mixing it in a bowl. I was not sure if it was loosing something beneficial in the process. Looks like I may have to revisit that method though. Thanks!

I actually picked up some selcon and some silver sides for my nem today when I was at lunch. Hopefully that will make him feel better!

I overdosed. o_O When I got home the nem was still looking pretty deflated. I soaked a peice of a silver side in some selcon and fed him and by this morning he looks normal. No more calcium for awhile ^_^;

anems are 99% water, any rapid change in your water column will cause a reaction, a bad water change ie under or over the current salinity can be real bad and has been known to make bta's split.
I take it you don't have a sump? if not rig up a dripper so it can add over a few hours?

anems are 99% water, any rapid change in your water column will cause a reaction, a bad water change ie under or over the current salinity can be real bad and has been known to make bta's split.
I take it you don't have a sump? if not rig up a dripper so it can add over a few hours?

Nope no real sump, its a biocube. A dripper is a very good idea I would just have to figure out a way to elevate it above me tank. I'm looking at a sump/refugium that will fit in the cabinet but its custom and pricey :(

Nope no real sump, its a biocube. A dripper is a very good idea I would just have to figure out a way to elevate it above me tank. I'm looking at a sump/refugium that will fit in the cabinet but its custom and pricey :(

ask your local vet for an empty saline iv bag with line and drip counter, you can just lay it down and put a book on it to make it flow

Back