Cardinal Fish has a protruding eye

janfromboone

Reefing newb
Has anyone seen this. He is still eating and acts normal but one eye is protruding as the skin around the eye stretches out. I'm thinking abscess or tumor. Has anyone else seen this.

23630-526de0b036c18d9e7f6a5dfeee6f994b.jpg
It's hurting my heart to see this. What would you do. Still eating. eye looks Clear with no discoloration of the iris , pupil normal . No clouding or cornea. Bigger and bigger . Looks like it could burst. It's got to hurt.

Attachments

• thumbnail (7).jpg
    thumbnail (7).jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 89
That is popeye. It can result from a bacterial infection, in which case the entire tank needs to be treated with an antibiotic, or from trauma (something scared it and it swam right in to something). Keep the water clean and frequently changed and dose with an antibiotic if you need to. Be careful of anything that may contain copper or will otherwise be harmful to invertebrates. Hopefully by now it has resolved itself, though!

That is popeye. It can result from a bacterial infection, in which case the entire tank needs to be treated with an antibiotic, or from trauma (something scared it and it swam right in to something). Keep the water clean and frequently changed and dose with an antibiotic if you need to. Be careful of anything that may contain copper or will otherwise be harmful to invertebrates. Hopefully by now it has resolved itself, though!
Thanks for your help. Too late for this fish. Tank is otherwise healthy. I’ll know next time.

Back