Anenome and clown hosting

Debbie

Reefing newb
Hi Everyone,

I am just getting started in saltwater and trying to do research on different things for the tank. We were told at an aquaria store that anenomes have a sting that is worse than a bee sting. This could be a problem, my husband is highly allergic to bees. 5 stings and he's gone. He will be helping with the tank. Is there a coral or something I can get that the clowns will host instead of an anenome??

Thanks,

Debbie

He may not necessarily have a problem with them though, because he's allergic to bee's not Anemone's even though they sting as well.

You could possibly place it in there for him but if not, I think a torch coral could potentially work. All depends on what the Clown's like, though.

Clownfish dont need a nem, and even if you have one, there is no guarantee that they will even be hosted by the nem.

Plus, we really dont recommend keep nems in new tanks. They require very high lighting conditions, pristine water quality and stability. The last two arent often found in tanks less than year old.

But there are lots of great corals out there that clowns will often decide to live in that are much easier to keep, toadstools, GSP, fuzzy mushrooms. The list goes on :)

I've heard of them hosting in Frogspawn, Plate Corals (ones with long tentacles) and I have always thought they would like Hairy Mushroom. Really anything that resembles an anemone they could potentially host, or they could not. Clowns are notorious for being dumb as rocks haha so...

They will be hosted by things that don't look like nems either, overflows are very popular with clowns, as are power heads and corners, none of which look like nems.

Clowns, are clowns. They do all sorts of odd stuff

I am allergic to wasps...I havent been stung by a nem yet so not to sure if I would have a reaction. If he has his hands in the tank make sure he is wearing gloves. They sell ones that go all the way to the shoulder.

So funny story. My clowns have decided to host my magnetic glass cleaner. It is white and the size of a deck of cards. They hang around it all day and sleep on top of it at night. :question: See, dumb as rocks haha

I understand...I was in the hospital once for a week from one wasp sting. I got stung by a scorpion multiple times a few years ago and had the appipen out ready to shoot myself in the leg and never reacted. Unfortunately you just never know how you will react until it happens. I do think the gloves are going to be the safest thing for him when he is doing things in the tank.

Back