Anenome issues.

saltwater sasquatch

Reefing newb
Well it seems like I am always asking questions, but I guess that's the only way you learn. Anyway my long tentacle anenome seems to be doing great it blooms out during the day and seems to be acting normal. However he does not seem to stick to anything and on 2 occassions he has ended up by my circulation pump. Thank goodness I caught it both times and saved it from being disentegrated. My concern is that he is not sticking to anything he just pokes up through my live rock and then at night retreats back under. Is there any pointers to what I can do to try and remedy this as it makes me nervous. My water parameters are all fine and all of my coral and fish seem to be fine.
Thanks everyone.

Anemones will move around your tank in an attempt to find their "Happy spot" if you will. My BTA expands during the day and retreats into the rockwork at night as well. Where do you normally place it? I remember reading about your nem and it said they are normally best at the top of the tank and like a lot of water flow.

I have tried placing it at the top of my highest rock point where the water flow is very high. However he doesn't grab onto the rock and ends up in the same spot no matter what. There is a good flow in the section he hangs out at his tentacles flow in the water very nice when expanded. I was just worried that he doesn't seem to hook onto anything.

Many anemones including many of the long tentatacle anemone prefer the the sandbed instead of the rocks.Usually the base is surrounded by small rock rubble and sand.

How long have you had it? I believe that if it does not want to adhere itself to anything, then that could very well be a sign of an unhealthy anemone. It should adhere to things if only to let loose and move itself again to a better spot. Once it moves it should adhere itself. JMO

I did take the nem out of my tank. I am not sure if them blooming and then contracting at night is a sign of life or not but I took him out to solve any problems. The tank seems to be doing a lot better now. However I did lose a lot of fish the only fish left are my clowns, sally lightfoot crab, sandsifting starfish, serpent star, and snails and hermits. Oh and my coral seems to be fine as well.

I would also cover your powerheads. I lost an anemone that way :( It is an ugly way to go.

About the movement. Mine don't move around, Once they found a spot they liked they have pretty much stayed put. The one that died was a split-off trying to find its own spot.

I would also cover your powerheads. I lost an anemone that way :( It is an ugly way to go.

About the movement. Mine don't move around, Once they found a spot they liked they have pretty much stayed put. The one that died was a split-off trying to find its own spot.
wow yeah i lost one this way my self :( vary ugly way to go. i still don't think i got all the nem out of my powerhead. I ended up getting a head suction cover because my other idea did not work...
and you know what saltwater sasquatch my nem does not like hid penthouse and much rather be at the base of its rock on its side facing the flow from my filter. i watched it move from its perch down the lava rock then to the bed. it seems to be happy there.

Back