Another lighting question (Sorry!)

MoLaw

Reefing newb
OK I have read on here that the below lights are OK lights but I am a little foggy about what I would be getting. OK the lights are the Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights sold at DrFosterandSmith. Now I did the math and if I get the 48" 216 watt that is about 4 watts per gallon (55 gallon tank) What do you normally recommend per gallon?

Also it says it has 4 lamps and 4 lunar lights I understand that the lunar light is for night but why is this better than just turning the lights off

The product also has this statement
Includes docking mounts and Slimpaq 460nm Actinic and 10000°K T-5 HO lamps. 7-1/4" x 2-1/2" high. 48", 54 watt unit measures 14" x 2-1/2" high.
Docking mounts - how it sit on the tank ??
Slimpaq 460nm Actinic - Lunar lights I think?? but what is this Actinic
10000 K T-5 HO - Theses are he main light I guess but what is the 10000K
All the measurements - not sure what they are I have guesses but thats it

Also how does it sit on the tank, it look like it would have a space between the top of the tank and the lights, is this right?? If so wouldn't that loose a lot of light, also would I need some kind of glass top then or just leave it open?

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to know what I was getting before I bought them.

Thanks so much for your help

Those are the same lights I had for my old 55 gallon tank. They were sufficient for me to keep SPS corals and anemones, so they should be fine for your tank.

The lunar lights simulate the light from the moon. The ocean is rarely pitch black at night, usually there is some moonlight shining through. That's the purpose of the lunar lights.

You are correct about the docking mounts.

These setups have two types of bulbs -- actinics (blue) and 10,000 K T5 HO, which are the more powerful whitish colored bulbs. There are two bulbs of each, for a total of four bulbs. The lunar lights are tiny LEDs and don't count towards the total wattage.

It sits on the tank on little legs. There is space between the tank and the lights. Instead of leaving it open or using a glass top, I would buy some eggcrate. You can find it in the lighting department of a hardware store. It's a white grid. Cut the eggcrate to fit the top of your tank. This keeps fish from jumping out, lets light it, and also lets the water and air mix at the surface.

Great, Thanks a lot for the info. I guess you should run the 4 light during the day and the lunars at night but should you run the Actinc's at night also since it is blue or is that to much light?

One more question , everything I am reading about actinic lights says that they peak at 420nm but theses lights are 460nm. Why the difference??

420nm or 03 actinic is purple and 460nm is blue.The purple makes the corals fluoresces more than blues.
Actinics are use to balance out the white bulbs which tends to wash out the colors of corals/fish.Also to simulate the dusk to dawn effect.

Last edited:
Ive got these same lights on my 50 gallon, same dimensions as your 55 just a bit shorter. Everything seems to be doing great so far with them, they are REALLY bright at first, like unbelievably too bright for the first day, then after a little bit they seem to dim down a bit. At least in my case, my friend and his dad with like 1000$ MH and t5 bulbs couldnt believe how nice the lights lit up my tank for only 199$ My clam is happy, and all my soft corals so far are doing great. It doesnt have the individual reflectors, but I think it does a great job for the money. The leg stand things that hold it on top of the aquarium are really cheap and wobbly, but they seem to work surprisingly fine for some reason. Not much heat, so that isnt an issue. The best lights for the money at foster and smith, thats why I got them due to the free shipping because I live close and go up there myself. There might be some better stuff with individual reflectors and stuff out there, but not at foster and smith.

I have basically the same light.Only mines 432 watts.
Biffs got you pretty well covered on everything.Just remember to acclimate any stonie corals to that light or you will bleach them.

When I light acclimate a coral,I like to just place it on the sand kinda back in the shade of the rocks,then once a week move it up a little bit untill I get it to where I want it to stay.

Start the corals off on the bottom of the tank, and every couple of days move them a couple inches higher until you get them to where you want them.

Back