Another lighting question

chbix

Reefing newb
Ok so looking at PC bulbs, I found that you can get a white light, an actinic or one that is a 50/50 (one white one actinic on the same bulb)

So originally I was going to do 2 white and 2 actinic in my 4 bulb setup, run on timers, have the actinic come on like an hour before the white, then run both for 8-12 hours, then have the whites shut off and run the actinic again for another hour. From my research this creates the "sunrise" "sunset' effect for the corals.

Should I stick with that or run all 4 50/50?

You won't be able to have that sunrise/sunset effect if you use the 50/50 bulbs, so it's up to you. Which would you prefer?

Well its about whats best for the tank. Is it that beneficial? From my understanding the white light 10k is for growth the actinic blue are really just to bring out color. Is the sunrise effect that beneficial to the growth/health?

No, the sunrise/sunset effect is for your eyes only ;). It won't impact the health or growth of the corals. There is no difference in coral health/growth whether you use 2 white/2 actinic or 4 50/50s.

Back