Another one bites the dust

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
Well, I lost another shrimp. This time it was my fire shrimp. I honestly have no idea what is killing them. All of my parameters are in check I even tested for copper, none to be found. I am using R.O water and doing weekly water changes. I have no inhabitants that would kill a shrimp. However, I did notice some dark spots on the fire shrimps body??? Are there any diseases that shrimp can get?

I don't know. I am just throwing this out there to see if you guys/gals have any ideas.

No clue Salty.

I doubt its a disease but who really knows.
Is it getting enough to eat?
I know you mentioned that your parameters are good.Calcium and alk good right?What about iodine,I know shrimps/crabs need it in normal parameters to promote/assist molting.Hey,I'm like you-throwing something out there,sorry dude,good luck.

Do you have a grounding probe in your water? When I first started up my tank (way back when), I lost several shrimp and starfish to a stray current in my tank. Everything else checked out just fine.

Do you have a grounding probe in your water? When I first started up my tank (way back when), I lost several shrimp and starfish to a stray current in my tank. Everything else checked out just fine.

I have a GFCI so I am positive there is no stray voltage.

I have never dosed for iodine. How important is that? How many of you dose iodine?

wrasse that are not reef safe, coral banded shrimp kill crabs and other shrimp, mantis shrimp that could of hitchhiked on live rock.

wrasse that are not reef safe, coral banded shrimp kill crabs and other shrimp, mantis shrimp that could of hitchhiked on live rock.

None of those. I am putting money on the lack of idodine. For those of you who dose Iodine how much do you dose, and is there a test kit for it?

I do dose with iodine. You can buy a iodine testing kit which use every week. In my 55 I put in 5 drops a day or you can put in a weekly dose but I prefer the daily.

I haven't dose it yet in my new system.Salifert makes a iodine test kit if you're looking to get one.When I did dose,I did only a capful once a week.

With the iodine, I just picked some up yesterday, havent dosed yet. Dont overdose with this stuff, the Kent Marine stuff I picked up is VERY STRONG (thats what it says on the bottle, lol) 1 drop for every 25 gallons in your aquarium once a week in the sump. The saltwater lady at fosters and smith recommended this stuff.

With the iodine, I just picked some up yesterday, havent dosed yet. Dont overdose with this stuff, the Kent Marine stuff I picked up is VERY STRONG (thats what it says on the bottle, lol) 1 drop for every 25 gallons in your aquarium once a week in the sump. The saltwater lady at fosters and smith recommended this stuff.

One drop for 25 gallons per week,huh?
Must be the Lugol's type.

Hate to hear about your shrimp Salty.
Maybe he had a bad molt?I've heard that if they cant get the old skin off quick enough it kills them.

Here ya go Piggy:
Calcium
Iodine
Iron
Magnesium
Manganese
Molybdenum
Potassium

Took those right off the bottle of Kent Essential Elements that I have got here.

i use purple up for caclium and also has iodine in it, i don't follow dosage on bottle i use every 3 days, and every three days i use seachem complete which has calcium, magnesium, strontium, and seachem carbonate for alkalinity. You don't have to use this stuff cause regular water changes adds trace elments from you new salt but i'm lazy with water changes sometimes so i like to add trace element since some are lost in skimming process.

Back