another stupid question

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I bought this epoxy for aquariums, can't remember the name but it is a green/white stick that you mix up. Anyways, I can't get it to stick shit to a shingle. I mean the stuff will not stick to rock at all. Does this stuff only work on dry items? If so, then WTF is the point?

What's a shingle?

Epoxy doesn't stick.You mold it and push it into a groove to attach certain corals.Once dry,it holds really well.It works well on branching LPS like frogspawn and attaching a rock with coral on it already.

What are you trying to attach?

coral glue tends to take between 1-5 minutes to cure underwater. that means you have to hold the coral in place the entire time. Not much fun.

Dom, a shingle is what covers your roof silly

-Doc

I was trying to stick rock to rock, both live rock to itself, and corals I bought to the live rock. can't seem to get it to hold, even when I mould it around the pieces I'm trying to stick together

I use the same type of epoxy.Like Reef said,you have to kinda work it into a crack or hole.But once its in place and sets up,its there.

Its actually related to chickenpox you have to of had pox to get it, normally affects the aged stays on one side of the body and can cause nevre damage and scarring. And it is unbearably painful, my grandmother had them very bad this past fall, itching was so bad that she couldnt wear clothes

Yes, shingles is a form of the herpes virus (its scientific name is Herpes zoster). That being said, there are a gazillion types of herpes virus, different ones affect different parts of the body, i.e. cold sores, eye infections, etc.

I always had no luck with that two part epoxy to, I finally started buying cyanoacrylic super glue gel. it works good but you still have to hold the item you are glueing in place for several minutes till it will hold itself. another idea depending on what you are trying to attach, if it is two pieces of liverock, get a drill bit and drill a hole in the two pieces of rock where you want them attached, then cut a piece of plastic clothes hanger to go in the holes you drilled to hold the two pieces together. I cant remeber what size hole it was, I think it takes a 1/4 inch drill bit. but just measure the clothes hanger you would use. just some ideas to try!

I epoxied a bunch of loose corals last night... Woke up this morning, two of them had blown off and were MIA. And when I lose a coral in my tank, there's no way I'm going looking for it. My tank is way too big and my rocks are way too plentiful. I can't tell you how many corals I've bought and never seen again because they've disappeared into the abyss.

Biff put a dap of super glue on your coral and attach it to the epoxy then put a glob on the part of the epoxy you want to atach to the rock. press it tight to wear you want it placed and hold for 2-3 min. they will never move again.

if you go to hobby town you can buy a 2oz bottle of superglue gell. its the red bottle for like $10. I also found some made by A&M aquatics (amaquatics.com) it is a 4oz bottle and would last forever. it is only like $15.

GARF sells reef glue cheap in quantities. I as a general rule do not use two part epox sticks, paste or glues, just some brand of cyanoacrylic glue. The brand is only dependant on where I am presently placing an order. They are all pretty much the same, prices for thesame quaniies very greatly though. Typically I have found GARF and Crafts/fabric stores to provide the best prices. Definitely not aquarium stores online or a LFS. If you want you can buy a kicker catalyst for the super glue (cyanoacrylic glue). It will set up in as little as seconds if you use to much.

Last edited:
a word of warning on the subject of glues. I bought two 2oz bottles of reef glue several months ago that boston aqua farms sells, it is coraline purple colored. I opened one bottle and used it a few times for small stuff, and never opened the other bottle. after about two months they both were hard as a rock in the bottle. they werent cheap either. I dont know if I got a bad batch or if I did something wrong to cause it. I stored them in a cabinet I store all my glues in. it says on the bottle to store in a cool dry place, so who knows, Ive heard storeing your glue in the freezer or fridge is a good idea but havent ever tried it. anyway, be prepared if you buy this type of glue for it to harden quickly, even in an unopened bottle

Back