Anthias and tank maturity

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I'm at a point where I would like to add a few anthias to my tank (leaning towards 2-3 disbar anthias, but not totally settled on this). I know anthias have high metabolisms and need to eat several times a day. I'm wondering how long it takes before a tank really starts producing its own food sources at a level that could meet anthias feeding needs w/o me having to feed more often? I currently feed frozen every other day and hang nori on a few of the off days. My tank is now 9 months old but I'm not sure if that's mature enough for the phytoplankton and pods to be established for anthias - thoughts? Thanks!

At nine months you should be okay. If you want more pods, buy a couple packs just to make sure. But like I said, at nine months you should be good.

That's hard Fishy, every tank is so different. Some have huge pod numbers right away, some never do, but, if you did, would adding 3 anthias just wipe them out too quickly? Those high metabolism fish seem hardly worth the trouble. They're eating all the time, they're pooping all the time, yeesh. The pod packs are expensive too.

I actually am not sure they even eat pods - aren't pods largely found on the rocks? My guess (total speculation) is that anthais are going to eat more free swimming plankton. I've never really observed anthias picking off rocks, but then again I haven't observed anthias in reef tanks for very long at any given time. Does anyone know?

I think you can go ahead and try them. But even if you tank swas producing all that, you are still probably going to need to go through a period of heavy feeding to get them fattened up again, they always seem to get so skinny at the LFS

Back