Anthias

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
Thinking about what fish will go in the new tank...

I know I want Anthias...but I am wondering about which ones...

Of these any ideas on which ones would school together? Any suggested numbers? Would you even recommend mixing different types?

• Resplendent anthias
  • Sunburst anthias
  • Bartlett anthias
  • Dispar anthias
  • Red Stripe anthias
  • Ventralis anthias

thanks all

I was looking at anthias a while back. From what I read, anthias school in the wild to increase their odds of survival from predators. Because our tanks do not usually have those predators they tend to loose that schooling mentality after a while. As far as numbers go optimally you want to have a group with one male and two to seven females. You can mix them too but, again you want to make sure that you only have one male in the tank or you'll have them fighting for dominance in the tank.

Here are some of the articles I was reading:
Anthias Imposters! - The Genus Pseudanthias, Part I by Henry C. Schultz III - Reefkeeping.com
Anthias Imposters! - The Genus Pseudanthias, Part II by Henry C. Schultz III - Reefkeeping.com
Fish Profile: False Percula Clownfish - Amphiprion ocellaris by Doug Wojtczak - Reefkeeping.com

Bartletts Anthias from my tank.

100_0296.JPG

Anyone else have any of the above

How often are you feeding

How may do you have, do the different types school together or only same species

I have lyretail anthias (which aren't on your list, but are awesome anyway)... I've seen lyretails and bartletts schooling together. You have to feed frequently-- when you first get them, to help bulk 'em up after shipping and so forth, I read that feeding twice a day is required. They eat A LOT. I had to increase the frequency of my water changes to keep up that much of a feeding cycle.

...also, weirdly, my male clown fish schools with them too. :shock:

I just took the plunge on a group of anthias. I have one Maldives Lyretail Male and 5 females. So far so good. I ordered mine from Liveaquaria. They ate frozen Mysis and frozen Plankton within a couple of hours. Very active fish that are schooling and moving around the tank. They do eat a lot and are a very active fish as you have probably read. I went with the Lyretails because they are "traditionally" easier to keep, but all Anthias are somewhat more difficult to keep than most fish. I am adding a feeder to my tank to drop freeze dried phyto in small amounts 3-4 times a day. Then I will also continue to feed frozen on a daily basis. Be ready for more water changes if you don't have the ability to handle that much of a food load. I strongly recommend a fuge or scrubber of some sort. Makes a big difference on the amount of pods and critters your tank has.
As for your suggestions, I would either go with the Bartlett or Dispar. They seem to have a reputation of being easier to keep than some of the other anthias, and are a beautiful fish.
Hope this helps, and post some picts when you make a decision.

Thinking about what fish will go in the new tank...

I know I want Anthias...but I am wondering about which ones...

Of these any ideas on which ones would school together? Any suggested numbers? Would you even recommend mixing different types?

• Resplendent anthias
  • Sunburst anthias
  • Bartlett anthias
  • Dispar anthias
  • Red Stripe anthias
  • Ventralis anthias

thanks all

I currently have 3 bartletts and 3 Maldives lyretails.I wholeheartly recommend those two because of hardiness.They don't shoal together anymore.If there is no sense of danger then they will not shoal after awhile,still they make awesome additions to a reef tank because they can be very active.I recommend at least feeding twice a day.One other thing,I originally bought one male/2 female bartletts.One of the females turned male,although they tail spat each other from time to time for the most part they get along.So,depending on species,more then one male can co-exist.

I've kept resplendents and dispars on your list in the past.They are not quite as easy as the first two.Pretty hardy if you buy them from the LA Den or deworm them in QT before adding them to the display.The others,I have no first hand experience.Ventralis are beautiful but too difficult and shy for me to even attempt.

Also,check out the Hawaiian bicolor,they suppose to be as hardy as bartletts.I'm waiting on LA for a couple of them myself.Carberryi anthias are another fairly hardy species and another fav of mine.
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Bicolor Anthias
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Carberryi Anthias

...and the best thing about anthias..they keep females in their place.Hah!

I currently have 3 bartletts and 3 Maldives lyretails.I wholeheartly recommend those two because of hardiness.They don't shoal together anymore.If there is no sense of danger then they will not shoal after awhile,still they make awesome additions to a reef tank because they can be very active.I recommend at least feeding twice a day.One other thing,I originally bought one male/2 female bartletts.One of the females turned male,although they tail spat each other from time to time for the most part they get along.So,depending on species,more then one male can co-exist.

I've kept resplendents and dispars on your list in the past.They are not quite as easy as the first two.Pretty hardy if you buy them from the LA Den or deworm them in QT before adding them to the display.The others,I have no first hand experience.Ventralis are beautiful but too difficult and shy for me to even attempt.

Also,check out the Hawaiian bicolor,they suppose to be as hardy as bartletts.I'm waiting on LA for a couple of them myself.Carberryi anthias are another fairly hardy species and another fav of mine.
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Bicolor Anthias
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Carberryi Anthias

...and the best thing about anthias..they keep females in their place.Hah!

Thanks for the great post.

I love the carberryi and the bartlets,,, now its just a matter of how many to order.

That would just depend on your bio-load and what else you are planning to add to the tank in the future. I would say 1 male and 3-4 females for your tank size and again dependant on what you already have in there.

Yeah... that would help wouldn't it :)

My current stocking list:

2 Picasso Clowns
1 Sixline Wrasse
1 Purple Firefish
1 Melanaurus Wrasse
1 Purple Tang
1 Achilles Tang
1 Chevron Tang

Probably add a watchman goby and pistol shrimp later on too...

Crap!!! In a 120. With 3 tangs that are going to be begging for room in a couple years, I would suggest not adding a group of Anthias. I would only add one Anthias of your choice if you have to have one.
Now with that said, you have a great list of fish! Huge fan of the fish you have chosen, it is just going to be a very tight fit for a school of anthias. You have to feed them 2-3 times a day, and those tangs get wild at feeding time and will make it difficult to get your anthias to eat when you first get them.
Just my 2 cents. If you make a try at it anyway, keep me up to date.

Thanks...

Other than the fact that I love all of those tangs...

One of the other reason I chose 2 of them is that they are of the smaller variety... the chevron and achilles are small tangs even whrn full grown...and now are really small :)

I might try a group 3 bartlets to start.... or I might just go for a bunch of chromis instead.....

But chromis are sooooo... *yawn* :Cheers:

Three bartlets would be pushing it, but after looking at the care and effort that you put into your tank and equipment I am thinking that you don't skimp on water changes and monitoring your tank. You might be ok with three bartlets, but I would make sure to QT them and get them eating great before you introduce them to the tangs. :)
By the way, you have a great tank!

Thanks..... it took way longer getting it setup than I wanted but finally glad to have it up and running.....

I actually have my 58g still up and running.... think it would make sense to put them in there to qt until they are eating?

Back