Any corals that the clowns may be more susceptible to host???

Bifferwine said:
There isn't a specific name for the non-host (i.e. clown). And interractions among organisms are classified into six categories: Symbiosis (aka mutualism, + +), commensalism (+ 0), parasitism (+ -), amensalism (- 0), neutralism (0 0), and competition (- -). Amenalism relationships are extremely rare. I can't thing of an example of one... Unless you start talking about human relationships :D.

Thats awesome Sarah! That's exactly how I remember it in my biology notes.

Shouldn't there be a name for the non host? It sounds silly when everyone says "Will my clowns host this coral?" Is that a correct statement?

Speaking of hosting. I bought two big oscerious <sp?> clowns yesterday and they are LOVING the flowerpot coral. I just hope they survive with my porcupine puffer. I can't get rid of the puffer as he is so smart and such a great pet. I am hoping since these guys are almost as big as him he will leave them alone. And at 75$ for a pair he effin better!

Reeffreak, what s a flowerpot coral???

When i first got my bubble coral couple days ago, i placed it in a rock "up there". Then a realized I should probably place it down and move it back up slowly. I catched my clown around it when it was "up there" on my rocks, but my clown won t go near it since i placed it low on the rocks....:frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat:

reeffreak said:
Your clown will love your flowerpot to deaf,literally!
I am taking photos (and video) of it every night to see the progression of it. Right now you can tell where it will be hanging out in the center; and the sides are starting to come out. The female clown can't stop rubbing up against it. I am pretty sure the flower pot is just easing into the relationship slowly. It will be great once the flower pot is fully extended again and it's comfortable with the clown in it.

So far the puffer seems to respect the clowns. I knew it was a risk going into it and I believe right now I made the right decision as the fish all seem to be pretty happy and fascinated with one another.

Sxybeemr325 said:
Reeffreak, what s a flowerpot coral???

When i first got my bubble coral couple days ago, i placed it in a rock "up there". Then a realized I should probably place it down and move it back up slowly. I catched my clown around it when it was "up there" on my rocks, but my clown won t go near it since i placed it low on the rocks....:frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat:

Sxy are you wanting your bubble to host your clowns?
If yes,than I don't think it would matter where its located,but then again I had Maroon clowns that would only host if a coral was near the substrate.Once you settle on a place they may come back.
How your bubble now?

Good luck with the flowerpot - after spending some time reading about them - I think I am going to stay far away!

Flower Pot Coral - Goniopora lobata

Color: The Flower Pot Coral has a brown, yellow, cream, tan color.
Type of hard coral: Large polyp stony coral (LPS).
Diet: Planktivore.
Feeding: It likes to eat filter feeding invert food, Microplankton, Copepods.
Behavior: The Goniopora lobata is generally semi-aggressive toward other tankmates.
Care: Many consider the Goniopora lobata a high-maintenance specimen.
Lighting: Has strong lighting needs.Symbiotic algae zooxanthellae are hosted within this organism.
Water flow: The Daisy Coral, Flower Pot Coral, Sunflower Coral, Yoo Stone Coral requires intermediate water flow.
General notes: The Goniopora or Flowerpot Coral has always been a controversial coral in the hobby. Once thought to be impossible to keep, it can now be kept by experienced hobbyists but is still high maintenance. The Goniopora is a coral that can be maintained in captivity with special attention to it's care. A lagoonal species found in soft and muddy substrate, this coral will do very well in a refugium setting providing it is very well lit. Care is very similar to the feeding needs of Dendronepthea Soft Corals, requiring several feedings of phytoplankton, copepods, juvenile mysis, rotifers, polychaete larva and other similar (tiny) sized foods every day. Baby brine shrimp are too large to feed this specimen. Attempts to do so will cause the polyps to retract and feeding will stop. Failure to feed, Provide high lighting AND perfect water parameters will cause this coral to die within 3 to 6 months. The Goniopora coral can be very aggressive as it can grow very large sweeper tentacles and shoudl not be placed within reach of another coral.
Water parameters: Keep water quality high (SG 1.023 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).
Origin: The Flower Pot Coral is commonly collected from Indo-Pacific.

Reeffreak, yes, I'd like my coral to host the clowns...... or the clowns to hos the coral........ Vise versa....... You know what i mean.... I'd like my clowns to stick around it. but my clowns hand out a lot at the top of my water, so they won t even go near the bottom..........

The bubble is doing better I suppose....... Anyhow, it looks better to my eye... I know I know close to absolutely nothing on corals, but it looks better, When the lights goes off, it deflates. is that normal??? And once he lights kicks in in the morning, it inflates again.... and look better and better when inflated...

Yep!....thats what they suppose to do.Once your bubble get use to your lights(end of the week or so)you can move it back up,hopefully your clowns might find them a new bed.

Adratros,My comments wasn't to discourage andbody from keeping a Goni.I think when people truly understands their needs they aren't that difficult.I don't agree with everything marinedepot states about its care.

Back