Any idea on what this is? Coral Mucus?

NikonSamurai

Reefing newb
I know this photo isn't the best but can someone tell me what this is. So far no one has any clue ... it's kind of scaring me. This stuff is on 2 rocks in my tank. I also have several white mounts forming under the rocks that look like half a golf ball DSC_0324bwebreef.jpg.

might be ... what would be a name to identify this type of sponge? I've spent a long time online trying to find what this is. I found where someone was describing what a bristleworm bed looks like ... it sounded like the same thing i have but there were no photos. There are one or two holes here and there so a worm bed is possible. I would think a sponge would be very porous, this is more like fluffy slime.

I tried to get better photos. The rock is covered with purple coraline but you can't see it because of the white film covering it ... any ideas as to what this is would be very helpful.

DSC_0378aweb.jpgDSC_0376aweb .jpg

The tank is 2 years old as are all the LR in it. My buddy gave it to me one month ago after letting it go for a year. He said "you clean it and it's yours" ...

I've attached 2 more images of things others can not seem to identify. DSC_0493web.jpgDSC_0485web.jpg:bowdown:

was it out of water when you transported the rock? if so you might have some die off and it could be dead sponge. once sponge hits air it will die.

2 new images are definatley look like a sponge to me..

If it's a sponge can i brush it off with a tooth brush or is there a better way to get rid of it? i don't mind if it's under a rock but the stuff that looks like slime on top needs to be removed. I ask because i don't want it to spread like aiptasia

DSC_0464a.jpg

here's a pink one i noticed today. This looks more like a sponge i would think right?

so the ones that look like golf balls, webbing on rock and slime are all sponges?

I'm guessing its all sponge.There are millions of different types of sponge that can grow in our tanks.So it'd be nearly impossible to figure out the exact name.

That is what i'm learning. Would you happen to know a safe way to remove them? Can i use a new tooth brush and siphon them out next time i do a water change?

Don't remove sponges. They are beneficial filter feeders that help keep your water quality in pristine condition. Some turn pink or purple after time. I have black sponges, white sponges and pink sponges in my tank. They are beautiful in their own way. Angels will eat them though. Sponges are like candy to an angel.

Ok-Ok, I'll leave them alone! I can't thank everyone one enough for the advice. I wish you all the best with your Reef goals. I've only been on here a few days but every time i read a post i learn so much. You guys are helping so many by simply talking about what you enjoy doing. I am grateful!

Back