hello all! im new to the hobby and need stocking ideas?!

kyla bidwell

Reefing newb
Hi, im VERY excited to be here and be a part of such an amazing group of hobbyists. I am extremely new to the saltwater hobby but I have do e a ton of researching! I have my first tank which is a 65 gallon. I read that its best to get the biggest tank possible to start so that is what I did!

I have a few fish in it now and it is finished cycling. I started with water from a friend's established 75 gallon reef tank. He also gave me live sand from his setup. I know it still bas to cycle even though the water was cycled in his tank, and I have had it set up for almost 2 months so its cycled now. I have a decent test kit (not strips) any my ammonia, nitrites and nitrates have been 0 for over a month. I added some fish a few days after it finished cycling. 3 damsels and 2 Bangai cardinal fish. And a week later I added a clown pair.

A week after that I added a pearlscale butterfly and a coral banded shrimp.

So to sum it up, my current livestock consists of:

A clownfish pair
A bangai cardinal pair
3 damsels
1 pearlscale butterfly
1 coral banded shrimp

I have 3 clams that came on my LR and 2 sea squirts as well.

And I have a lot of lite baby serpent stars that were in the sand I got.

I also have some coral, but it was givin to me and im not sure what all I have to be honest.

Im just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what livestock to add. I like fish with features that stand out. I like odd shapes and bright colors and Interesting patterns.

Im mire interested in personality and behavior though.

What are some of the most interesting fish/inverts in your opinion?

I have put together a somewhat extensive list of fish that I really like. If you could give me some insight as far as compatibility and difficulty level I would greatly appreciate it. I dont expect anyone to give info on all the fish im listing. I kniw its a lot lol. And I know that a few arent compatible with the others. But I am wondering what those would be compatible with. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my ridiculously long post!

Royal gamma

Blennys:
Midas
Bi colored
Scooter

Gobies:
Sleeper
Court jester
Green clown
Catalina
Convict
Tiger
Twin spot
Yellow watchman
Neon
Sleeper head
Yellow clown
Pink bar

Geometric hawkfish
Longnose hawkfish

Jawfish:
Pearly
Blue spot
Black cap

Pseudo:
Strawberry
Purple stripe
Bi color

Orchid dottyback

Wrasses:
Canary
Cleaner
Christmas
Dragon
Lyretail (I REALLY want this one!)
Bird (male)
Formosa
Rainbow
Spotted
Sunset
Six line
Potter's
Leopard
Mccasters flasher
Exquisite
Candycane
Orangeback

Jack knife fish

Skunk tilefish

Foxface rabbit fish

Bi colored parrot fish (princess?)

I also want a "dori" tang, a blue powder tang and a brown powder tang.

And id like to know if there are any kinds of eels that I can have with fish like these.

Again, thank you for taking the time to read all of this! Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Im also VERY interested in frogfish and boxfish.

I have a filstar canister filter and a seaclone 150 protein skimmer. 2 powerheads and led lights that are for reef tanks.

Thanks again!
Kyla B

Welcome aboard. Certain fish eat a type of coral. You need to know what coral you have or at least add pictures.

Tangs will not be a good choice for a 3 ft tank.

Canister filters are a joke, they will be more of a pain than an asset.
What type of 'reef' led lights do you have?

Welcome aboard. Certain fish eat a type of coral. You need to know what coral you have or at least add pictures.

Hello and thank you! Its great to be here!

I will post pics of the coral soon. The lighting I have is the Fuval Sea marine amd reef led 2.0
Its 25000K ad 32 watts.

I also have 2 compact lights that I can use if its a better option.

What kind of filter would you recommend?

Is the seaclone 150 protein skimmer ok? I have read mixed reviews on it. I changed the air flow adjuster valve and it seems to be working pretty well. I get about 1/2 of an inch of brown 'juice' from the cup every few days.

Attachments

• tmp_20278-20150524_125238-1242408166.jpg
    tmp_20278-20150524_125238-1242408166.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 331
  • tmp_20278-20150524_125159531507462.jpg
    tmp_20278-20150524_125159531507462.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 336
In the first photo, I think thats some type of leather brain coral maybe? The pics arent all that great but its the best I can do at the moment.
The second photo has 4 different types of coral in it. The one that looks like barnacles came with the live rock and I have a ton of it. The other 3 were given to me by a friend. I was wondering what they were anyway.

1st picture is pretty bad, favia maybe.

2nd is gsp (green star polyp) and zoas...... and a fake plant.

Never had a sea clone..... you get what you pay for.

Do some research on refugium and sumps. You can add filter socks/Floss, media..... The list goes on.

Back