Any Luck?

The temptation has been there for me many times.I never did it,nor have i EVER heard of a success story.Some judge success differently,but for me anything under 6 months is not success.I know they need very large systems and prefer to be paired up or in groups,i think because they are fairly cheap many of us give it a shot,but these fish never seem to be able to adapt to aqaurium life(they are very picky eaters).I would say stay away from these guys ,JMO..Give the banner a look...

i agree with above. super hard fish to keep. needs tons of swimming room like above. very finicky eaters. one of the fish better left alone in the ocean i think..

Those are some beautiful fish. I had to google them to read more about them. Sounds like if you get one you should take a picture, as it will likely last longer. :(

I've never heard of anyone being able to keep one longer than a couple months :( It's a mystery why they are so difficult to keep.

A local reefer has had one for sometime now. She had a 220 I think that started to split so she upgraded to a marineland 300. The tank and her fish are awesome. I don't know the details on feeding or care that she has done but for the few years she's had it looks awesome swimming around.

She also has the world's biggest 6-line too. Thing looks like the size of a blue gill.

Thanks for all the info everybody. They are the coolest fish. My LFS has one right now that is a beauty...and they say it eats mysis shrimp everyday....so I've been thinking about it...

Please be cautious,mysis shrimp is far from what this fish needs to survive.As with any and all our fish we keep,we have to get them eating a wide variety of foods.Ofcourse if you decide to get it,i would love to see a pic and maybe a moorish idol thread of his progress.That would be both cool and educational ,IMO.....

I agree that MIs should be left in the ocean.
And even though some will take frozen mysis,I think their natural diet is coral polyps.

Back