any suggestions on sps

ckam

Reefing newb
i'm looking for suggestions on sps corals for my 55 gal. with 40long refugium,100 lbs live rock,130 lbs sand. it's been running 2 years now. i've been keeping easy corals like mushrooms,zoo's,frogspawn(started as a y shape and now has 7 branches),tubeastea sun corals(yellow,orange,black)the black has reacently spawned 4 polops all in different places in the tank,and gorgonias. my lights are 4-54ho t-5,w/ 4 moon. i use 2-10,000k and 2-460nm actinic. my refugium has 2-54ho t-5. 1-10,000k/1-460nm. i was wondering if i could keep any acroporas or any thing tree like,branching. just something that build structure. everything i currently have except the frogspawn is just going to spread around my rocks.

My only concern with the sps in your tank would be the lighting since you are at about 4 watts per gal which is fairly low light for the more light loving corals like acros. You might be able to get a couple of acros if you placed them high up in the tank close to the light. I have 1 acro in my tank and I am running about 6 1/2 watts per gal and the acro is only 6" from the surface of the water and it is doing ok but I get the feeling it would like more light.

Just a thought I hope this helps.

I would agree with squibley2 on the lighting even if you put them up close to the light they might not survive.If want to move into SPS I would sugest a metal halide setup.If do decide to switch over becareful with getting the exsisting coral acustom to the new light so they dont get shocked

u need more light even if stays alive it will never have its true color so whats the point altought im going to bring a pic from a friend at lfs its a 400gal with nothing but t5 it is one of the best sps tanks ive ever seen u got to see it to belive it has 20 t-5

YEAH IF YOU GET INDIVIDUAL REFLECTORS FOR EACH T5 IT GETS INTENSE,. tHATS HOW THOSE TANKS ARE LIT.

Stupid new kittens walking on my keyboard lol, im not retyping that... (im lazy)

Back