Any thoughts on Catalaphyllia

Piratefish

SPS Freak
My LFS is going out of biz:pooh: But their loss is my gain...atleast for now. They have a Catalaphyllia Blue green its about 7" from end to end. It looks kind of like a clam when closed. $40.00 I have read that they are aggressive. What does this really mean and is it too big for my 55g? When it is open it is unfricken real.:^: Its from their display tank.

Thats one of my favorite corals.Except we dont seem to be able to get very often around here,and when we do get em at the LFS they go quick.
I say go for it and you post post a pic or I'll ban you.:wink:

Thats one of my favorite corals.Except we dont seem to be able to get very often around here,and when we do get em at the LFS they go quick.
I say go for it and you post post a pic or I'll ban you.:wink:

Really? I see elegance corals at my LFS all the time. Usually a few different colors, too.

Elegance corals tend to have a pretty poor track record in this hobby. They seem to wither away. If it has been at your LFS for a while, it is more likely to be healthy, though.

I've only seen 3 or 4 Elegance locally since I've been in the hobby.None since I've been helping at Bermuda.:sad:

Okay I had to do some reading about them. They sound a little fussy. It might be to much for a new tank. I just don't want it to die and poison my tank.

It says that they can eject themselves from their skeletons if they are not happy :shock:. I would really hate to try and fish that thing out of my tank.

Elegance wont poison your tank.Your thinking about anemones there.
Personally,I think you'd be alright with it.You never know until you try.:D

My friend has a huge elegance in his 215g and said its quite easy for him to care for. There is an abundant amount of empty snail shells all around it. I'm not sure if it can kill snails and hermits or if its a coincidence. I'm planning on getting one in the near future. I'd say go for it and post pics when you get it. Good luck!

I chickened out. I was going with every intention of buying. When I got there it was fully open and was almost as big as a dinner plate. There is no way it would have fit in my tank.

Back