Anyone have BoostLED Mu Series or the Evolution LED?

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
I've been trying to find and read up on all LED fixtures in the $300 range. I've been looking at the Ecoray 60D and Slim Line-S, but I'm worried the leds on the Ecoray 60D are too focused and will bleach my livestock (the PAR reading is REALLY high on the Ecoray fixtures), and I don't like that the Slim Line-S is preset (not changeable) to run for 15hrs a day (24hrs a day if you count the moon lights). :frustrat:

However, I ran across two new fixtures this morning:
1. BoostLED Mu Series 135W LED Module BoostLED? — Mu Series 135W LED Module
2. Evolution LED 120W Evolution LED Light 120w 1G [20K] : REEFKOI CORALS, SPS, LPS, Zoanthids

I can't find a lot of info on them, though. Anyone have either of them, or heard anything about them?

These 2 fixtures have more leds than the Ecoray 60D, yet are supposed to be less intense with a better spread because of the optics on them...

I noticed when I googled the Evolution leds that a lot of the hits that came up were ones were sale. I think part of the reason for that is that Evolution makes a 14K and a 20K version, and I think a lot of people buy the 20K and want to sell it because they think it's too blue, and then others buy the 14K and think it's too white. I also read somewhere that the fans on the fixture are really loud.

As for the BoostLED, I still can't find much on it. But, I think it's in the same boat as the Evolution leds. :(

I'm actually looking for leds for a 47 gallon column aquarium that I'm setting up. Leds for my 50 gallon would be too expensive for me right now since I would probably need 2 fixtures to cover the width of the aquarium. Since the 47 gallon is a column, I'd only need one fixture which is why I'm considering leds for it.

I'm actually looking for leds for a 47 gallon column aquarium that I'm setting up. Leds for my 50 gallon would be too expensive for me right now since I would probably need 2 fixtures to cover the width of the aquarium. Since the 47 gallon is a column, I'd only need one fixture which is why I'm considering leds for it.

What are the deminsions of the tank?

That size of tank almost makes it a nano which is nice because there are a lot of choices you can go with.
For LEDs be sure to do your research and get high quality fixtures from a reputable company. The hard part in that is the allure of the cheaper LEDs from places like ebay and the like.
Can't wait to see what you choose.

It would be nice to get something like an AquaIllumination or Orphek fixture, but I just don't have the cash for something real nice like that. I think I'm leaning on the Ecoray 60D. Everyone on this forum that has one is happy with them. The only issue is that the lighting is too intense. But if you hang the light high, or put screen on top of your tank, etc. then problem solved. ;)

It would be nice to get something like an AquaIllumination or Orphek fixture, but I just don't have the cash for something real nice like that. I think I'm leaning on the Ecoray 60D. Everyone on this forum that has one is happy with them. The only issue is that the lighting is too intense. But if you hang the light high, or put screen on top of your tank, etc. then problem solved. ;)

I've always been a believer in too much lighting being easier to overcoome than not enough lighting. Screening or height will usually take care of the issue. Then the light is transferable to another tank.

I know what you mean about price. I wanted the Orphek but ended up going with a couple of their PR-25s due to the price..... Happy with them but would still like the others.

Back