Anyone know what type of fish this is?

Pete144

Reefing newb
I just recently purchased this fish at my local store and they couldn't provide me with what type it was (also made me want it a bit more due to that fact). So, here I am trying to determine what type of Tang it is.

Sorry the picture isn't all that great, but the fish is still on the shy side and hard to get a good picture of.

But, the tang has light yellow on his tail fin and dorsal fin. As for color of the fish it is a charcoal grey with no other color markings.

Thanks for the help. I know the picture quality isn't good. I will try and get something better up this evening. But, I figured at least get a start on it :)

tang.png

Perhaps a mimic tang in his scardy fish colors?

Many fish will change colors when they are stress but the yellow and the body shape make me think a mimic tang.

I've got a Mimic and it doesn't seem to be that.

Edit - looking at pictures of older Mimic Tangs, it might be one! Sometimes called a Chocolate Tang

Last edited:
I don't think it is a tomini tang, the body shape doesn't seem to match. It could be a Chocolate/Mimic Tang. Probably an older one after it has gone through its color change.

I really don't know for sure,but i had a mature chocolate and its body was longer and not pear shaped like yours,,do you have a better picture?

Attachments

• DSCN1457000033.jpg
    DSCN1457000033.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Back