Anyone seen my brittle star?

WannaRace

Reefing newb
Well, this morning did the usual tank observation and felt a little empty. What do you know, my brittle star is coming up missing. Now mind you, this is only a 30 gallon tank so it can't be hard to find it, right? Don't forget this detail: Two days ago something took one of the legs halfway off of it. So I'm not so sure, did something eat it for a late-night snack? I'm afraid it was that pesky hitch-hiker shrimp thing that was at it again. Or maybe the blue-devil damsel. I looked just about everywhere..

It is possible to have a mantis that you've not seen.And its also possible for a mantis to make a meal out of a star.

No crabs in this tank

I do have one hitch hiker that I can't exactly pin point. It is all black in color, has long tentacle-eyes (best I can describe). Always clicks when trying to grab things (saw him moving some rubble around). And he is quick! Comes out when I put mysis shrimp in the tank, steals a piece and goes back into hiding in an instant! Any ideas on what this is?

It is going to be very difficult to remove it, I haven't seen it in about a week now.

Sounds like a mantis to me. They will kill and eat anything in your tank. I would remove it ASAP and put it in your sump if you have one, give it to your LFS, or just flush it.

After Googling for a picture of a mantis I think you guys were right! It looks like all the pictures I have seen but couldn't find one in all black. I'm pretty sure it is the mantis.

So, now this is the fella responsible for killing my froma star and my brittle star... Yote, suit me up!

Now how would you go about getting this guy out without interfering with the fish, snails and corals? I know the mantis loves mysis but so does everything else!

I think yote could help you more here. I have never had one in my tank so I have never had to remove one. You could try a homemade trap and catch him that way.

For a home made trap you take a plastic pop bottle and were the neck turns for skinny to fat cut it there and turn it around so the top is on the inside. Then find some silicone or another way to attach it and put some food init. When he crawls in to get it he wont be able to get out.

The easiest way to catch a mantis (and this is even easier in your small tank) is to figure out which rock he lives in. They usually make a home in one place and will go back to that same hole. Once you know which rock he's in, take the rock out and do a freshwater dip. The mantis should come right out of the rock.

Mantis will kill anything they can catch; fish, inverts, anything. Definitely one of the worst hitch hikers you can get! Congrats!! ;)

The easiest way to catch a mantis (and this is even easier in your small tank) is to figure out which rock he lives in. They usually make a home in one place and will go back to that same hole. Once you know which rock he's in, take the rock out and do a freshwater dip. The mantis should come right out of the rock.

Mantis will kill anything they can catch; fish, inverts, anything. Definitely one of the worst hitch hikers you can get! Congrats!! ;)

Biffs right on the money on how to catch a mantis.Actually,thats about the only sure fire way to catch em.

If yours has any size to it at all,DO NOT try to catch it with bare hands.They can cut you to the bone so fast you wont even know its happened.

I used to think they were the worst hitch hiker you could get,but now that I have one in my 30.I'm actually warming up to em pretty good.Some mantis's are actually an awesome looking creature.Their built for speed and endurance.Awesome predators.

Brittle star came out today with about 2 1/2 legs left. I removed rock after rock that I thought that the mantis was in, dipped it in some RO water and let it sit for a few minutes. He never came out, so far I have done about half of my rock work. Will have to do a water change and aquascape tomorrow after this destruction.. I might invest in a trap but I don't know how well they work...

I would find for sure which rock it is in. If you start dipping all your rock you might kill too much good bacteria and start a cycle. Get a red light or a light and put some red film over it and wait him out at night. Add alittle food and he may come for it. At night inverts can't see red light.

Back