Anyone using an Eshopps skimmer?

montoya

Reefing newb
I'm looking at a barely used Eshopps in sump skimmer for my 55 g tank. It is the 100 g rated skimmer. I can probably get it for $ 50.00.

The foot print is too big for my sump. I'm thinking of setting it on the floor next to my sump, putting the pump only in my sump and running a flex hose to the skimmer. I could do something similar to the return or could probably elevate the skimmer a few inches so I could hang the return tube over the edge of my sump. The flex tube would only be 24" or less and the sump and skimmer would be roughly the same height as each other so I'm hoping "headspace" will not be an issue.

From photos of the Eshopps skimmer I can't tell - if I disconnect the pump from the body of the skimmer is there any nipple or other connection point remaining on the skimmer body upon which to clamp a flex hose (or glue hard pipe if I go that route)?

The photos make it look like the pump may be threaded directly into the skimmer body somehow? Also does anyone know what pump Eshopps uses? Is it a readily available pump should it ever need replacing?

I'm sure that with a little planning,you could run that external.You MIGHT have to go with a bigger pump to account for the longer distance of travel tho.

Back