Aqua C Protein Skimmer

reefkeeper55

Reefing newb
Thinking about adding a Remora Aqua C Protein Skimmer to my 150 reef tank...unsure whether I need the 180 or the 240 ....also unsure which mag drive pump to use to ...I have seen either the 1200 or even the 1800 used on different setups...I am currently using a Remora Pro which is really too small for my size tank...if anyone has any additonal info it would be most appreciated ...I curently have a large sailfin, large naso, large koran angel, 3 yellow tangs, 2 clarki clownfish, large regal tang and 3 small chromis and numerous corals. Also think I'm about to my limit with fish in this tank....just trying to do a better job with the skimming..thanks in advance for any help.

I would say you are probably over your fish limit with those big fish, so i wouldnt add any more. But you also want to get a skimmer rated for twice your tank volume, so i would go with the 240. But i dont think that is a very good brand, i could be wrong, but i think you should check out the reef octopus skimmers, they are excellent.

I have the remora aqua c on my 29gal...and I used to have it on my 55gal reef. And my lfs had it on their 90gal. I've never had a problem with it, and have heard from other remora owners that they've never had issues with theirs. So I stand behind the brand. Little fish is correct when she said to get a skimmer rated for twice the size of your tank. I'd say go with the 240 also.

I have made a 5 minute video of my tank but haven't had time to upload it yet....will let you guys know as soon as I can get it posted...thanks for the advice

i have the 180 and i love it! it pulls out so much junk its unbelievable. I would get at least the 240. They do recommend the mag 12 but i would get the mag 18 and valve it down that way you can get the best performance possible but be careful it can cause over skimming which actually causes it to skim less.

I did this with my 180. they said to put the mag 7 on and i did. after a little bit of researching i bumped it up to the mag 9 and it is amazing how much more it pulls out.

This is the owner's manual for that skimmer scroll down till you see Choosing a water pump. It will explain it all in more detail.
http://www.proteinskimmer.com/User's Manuals/EV-240.pdf

Whoa whoa whoa! I only have a Coralife Needlewheel Skimmer that is the 125 and it is on my 80 gallon tank so that stinks.

I have had not one problem with it functionally but with my sump included this is not 2 times the tank size.

Should I be worried. I don't have fish yet but now I feel like I should get a bigger skimmer. This was like $160 already.

Back