Aquaionizer and protein skimmer

Pysiek

Reefing newb
Hello Guys
I'm just starting to set up my first saltwater tank. My friend used to have a saltwater aquarium but he moved to a different state and gave me his. It is 55 G and have Pro Clear Aquatic System model PRO75 filter. I need to purchase a skimmer. I do not want the skimmer to hang on the back of my aquarium so I'm looking for one that I can fit in my filter. Other friend who also have a saltwater aquarium told me that I can use the aquaionizer insted of protein skimmer. Is that true? Is the aquaionizer does the same thing as protein skimmer?

Don't waste you're money on an aquaionizer, it doesn't work realistically as described. Get yourself a good protein skimmer instead. If you have a sump under your tank, then you could get an in sump skimmer, if not, then it'll have to be hob skimmer. But with a good skimmer and adequate live rock, you won't even need that filter that's currently on there. Also, welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard.

I have no clue what an aquionizer is, that is not a term I am familiar with. The only piece of gear that does what a skimmer does is a skimmer

Hello Smitty
I see that we are neighbors :-). Thanks for the reply. I do have a sump under my tank. What is the good skimmer to use in the sump?

Hello Smitty
I see that we are neighbors :-). Thanks for the reply. I do have a sump under my tank. What is the good skimmer to use in the sump?

Yep, and I work even closer to you. :)
That's good you have a sump to hide your equipment...a good skimmer is the octopus brand. And they aren't super expensive.

Right now I'm reading the article about " Cycling a tank, adding fish and corals" by Jmck . I will look for the skimmer later.
Thanks for the suggestion.

FAQS about Aquarium Filters

Welcome to the site. We are lucky to live in the area we do. We have 4 decent stores around us where some of the members have to go an hour to get to one.

The aquaionizer is that online thing with the magnets right?
You just have to read the FAQ to know it is junk.
It claims to kill algae and other pathogens but not the beneficial ones. They also state that the reason why you can't find it in a fish store is pretty much because of a conspiracy by the stores.

You can...but it's much cheaper to buy them dry and then seed your tank with a piece or two of live rock. Aquatica in tinley park is probably the best lfs we have in the area. They're a lil bit more pricier, but great products and customer service. But remember, they and any other store is there to make money and will try to sell you stuff you don't need, so always do your research and ask questions before making large/expensive purchases.

What you think about reverse osmosis filtration system? I have one at home but we do not use it. Should I keep it to filter water that I will use in tank? Or it's not worth it?

You can...but it's much cheaper to buy them dry and then seed your tank with a piece or two of live rock. Aquatica in tinley park is probably the best lfs we have in the area. They're a lil bit more pricier, but great products and customer service. But remember, they and any other store is there to make money and will try to sell you stuff you don't need, so always do your research and ask questions before making large/expensive purchases.
I would like to buy sand and live rock at the same time. Add them at the same day with water into the tank and start my cycling process.

What you think about reverse osmosis filtration system? I have one at home but we do not use it. Should I keep it to filter water that I will use in tank? Or it's not worth it?

Yep...you definitely want to use ro/di water in your tank and not tap water. Good thing you already have one.

A guy at the petsmart store told me that if I'm using tap water then I need to add some chemical to make that water safe for me. I might keep the system then.

That is a water conditioner. You don't need that with an RO unit. After the water goes through there, it will be pure water. No need to add anything but the salt.

Back