aquarium trim, Important or just for looks???

quattro4444

Reefing newb
I'm about to pickup a 240 Gallon aquarium 96L X 24H X 24W for free from someone local... Its a glass aquarium with glass center brace... Only issue is the black aquarium trim on the bottom is broken and missing in several places... Is there anyway for me to fix this and how important is the black trim? I've tried researching online and have come up with many conflicting answers so I'm trying to get a definitive answer on this... I would like to know if this tank is going to be more of a hassle then a gain... The tank is free and has a decent stand that just needs a little TLC... Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Hope its still doable!!! Have plans to make it an awesome Tang Tank...

Sean

Sounds like a great tank! What he's referring to is the black plastic that runs around the bottom (and usually top) of a tank. I've also read conflicting stories about this, some say it helps hold things together, while others say it's just for looks. Personally, I can't believe that the cheap plastic would have any use holding together a 240 - the seals should be strong enough to hold itself.

Ok, i see. I think as long as the actual glass and seals arent damaged, you should be fine. But i would leak test it anyways just to be sure.

I would think that if you were nervous about the bottom trim you could possibly modify the stand and inlay the tank to have a built in trim around the bottom. IMO

Look at D2Mini's built to get a visual of what I mean

Depending on how bad the broken the plastic piece is?

Yes it does serve a purpose or it wouldn't be there and tanks would be mostly rimless! Rimless tanks have much thicker glass so that they can with stand the pressure that the tank water puts on the sides of the tank. I would not risk using a tank without the plastic in tack, top or bottom. It is likely that the glass will bow and that the seals will eventually begin leaking. Do you really want 240 gallons of saltwater all over your house?

I'm with Dcan.
We had a 125 that was missing the trim on the bottom. It sprung a massive leak after being set up for about six months. I blame the trim.
The "rimless" tanks are generally thicker glass... I think that's how they get away with being rimless.

ok, well i would feel better too if i had the trim pieces on there... anyone know where I can the trim... cant find anywhere on line...

also thanks for all the quick replys!!! You guys are Awesome!!!

i know the trim helps held the seals together when it has a load and i know how much a 240 gal weighs since i have a 240 Tall tank (mine is somewhere around 500-600 lbs empty). i hope you got 4 strong people to carry it or atleast 2 and a nice set of glass moving handles (they are exspensive but make it much easyer to carry)

np any information is welcomed!!! Thank you all... There is no manufacture stamp or desginator on the tank... any idea where to get the trim in legth that i can cut to fit?

I say go to your LFS and see if they can order or get some trim for you. The trim, atleast on my 29 gal, is one piece. So there would be not cutting involved. Take them the measurements for the tank. I dont think it would matter what the manufacturer is as long as the dimensions are correct.

Most custom tanks that have trim is just for looks(hide the silicone) but most mass market aquariums(Aqueon,Perfecto etc.) the trim is actually part of the brace.It keeps the seams from pulling apart.

It seems that if the trim is important enough to hold the whole thing together, i dont see how you would be able to repair it. Just looking at my tank i dont quite see how you would be able to replace it anyways.

Back